Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Senior Managers of Software Development in the Infrastructure and Operations group will work together with a medium-sized group of software engineers to build tools and services to improve the engineering process of development, testing and release. SMSDs spend around 50-75% of their time as a hands-on developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.). If an SMSD is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be reduced by roughly 30%. As a manager, the responsibilities also include developing and guiding the career path of direct reports, creating staffing plans with departmental leadership and being an agent for change at both the team and department level.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need:
- A good understanding of CI/CD pipeline and software development process.
- Experience designing and implementing tools and services to facilitate engineering development with a modern infrastructure.
- Care personally about fostering a culture of learning, growth, and career development for software engineers.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills that allow you to genuinely connect with people.
- Skilled at producing secure and robust code in a functional programming language.
- Interest in learning to effectively code in the new programming/scripting languages.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- An on-boarding program that will provide hands-on experience with our platform, and the processes and technologies we use in the Engineering department.
- Our team works primarily with Python, Java, AWS, Terraform, Git, bash; while also having the autonomy to use other technologies as needed to accomplish our goals more effectively.
- Personal Indie Time (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want) and annual hackathons that provide opportunities for growth and leadership, which are activities that inspire others and get creative juices flowing.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years in software development.
- 2+ years as a mentor or manager.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.