Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
The goal is to make it easy for developers to quickly build powerful, complex, and performant data-driven applications. We work with the customer's data, whether it be in traditional databases, web services or third-party tools like Salesforce. We then layer on top of that our "Appian Data Service" which adds additional features that let the customer easily extend their data, join across sources, handle complex security, and create powerful UIs and reports. Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative people to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast, and flexible.
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership in a specific area of the product and are responsible for the professional growth and development of engineers working in that area. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of junior software engineers to improve their technical skills while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers also work directly on teams and act as servants/leaders who should enjoy helping their group succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing direct reports.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack web environment.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Have deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching.
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Be an active participant in team discussions and collaboratively work with others to design features and create delivery plans.
- Provide input to create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as expense report approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Preferred Experience Level: 6+ years in software development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.