Appian’s vision is to unite people, process, and data in a seamless platform for low-code automation across the enterprise. Data is a critical part of any application but unfortunately, most businesses are hamstrung by their data being spread across their enterprise. The Appian platform provides app developers with a rich set of capabilities for bringing data together and letting users easily interact with data regardless of where it is stored.
Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast, and flexible.
Senior Managers of Software Development (SMSD) ensure the continued high performance of a medium-sized group of software engineers and work with Technical Mentors (TMSDs) and Managers (MSDs) to ensure the growth of employees within a specific technology layer. SMSDs provide mentoring and career coaching to their direct reports and help their teams deliver on-time and with high quality. SMSDs spend around 50% of their time as a hands-on developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.).
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack web and mobile environment.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 12 direct reports through mentoring and coaching, including Technical Mentors of Software Development, Managers of Software Development, Senior and Lead Agile Coaches, and various levels of Software Engineers. SMSDs will usually spend up to 50% of their time managing direct reports depending on how many direct reports they have.
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Performance of HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 8+ years in software development, with 2+ years as an manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.