The Senior Accountant, Revenue Recognition, provides support with respect to contract accounting, contract administration and revenue recognition.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the company’s revenues from customer contracts are properly accounted for in accordance with U.S. GAAP by doing the following:
- Review drafts of incoming customer contracts and provide revenue accounting guidance to FP&A, Legal and Sales personnel on an as-needed basis.
- Review fully executed customer contracts to conclude on appropriate accounting treatment and identify any issues to ensure that all software and services revenues are accounted for in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (ASC 605-25, 985-605,etc…)
- Assist manager with technical research on complex revenue accounting issues.
- Prepare supporting revenue accounting documentation, including revenue accounting checklists, position papers and revenue allocation spreadsheets for booked orders.
- Assist with Fair Value (VSOE and BESP) analyses of historical sales transactions.
- Assist management with the implementation of new revenue accounting standards (ASC 606). Stay current on proposed changes to ASC 606 and implementation requirements.
- Support annual audit and quarterly reviews by providing external auditors with requested documentation for revenue transactions being tested.
- Assist with preparation of SEC filings as needed.
- No direct supervision of staff
- May require some indirect supervision of staff accountants
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA certification required.
- MBA preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years of software revenue accounting experience required.
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills required for regular and frequent interaction with sales and legal personnel, senior management, and outside auditors.
- Exceptionally strong software revenue accounting knowledge required
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- ERP financial systems experience is a plus
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in an area requiring special attention to detail and adherence to regular monthly deadlines.
- Ability to grow and take on more responsibilities as required.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.