Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and supporting them as they reach new heights in learning? Teachers at Alpha have the opportunity to create and safeguard opportunities for students in under-resourced communities while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
Alpha’s Physical Education Coaches (PE Coaches) will run a student leadership development program with a balance of health and fitness education and the essentials of our Personalized Leadership Training. PE Coaches will play a role in developing Alpha students to embody the student core values via the PLT “Field” Curricula. PE Coaches will teach students to cultivate physical fitness, hygienic habits and strong social and emotional tools to build self-reliant leaders.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs- teachers who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. We are looking for educators who are reflective in their practice and are willing to engage in conversations around educational equity and inclusivity. At Alpha, you will uphold rigorous expectations for all students, while leading from a place of empathy and understanding. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career. We're committed to finding educators who value and celebrate the diverse experiences of our scholars and their families, and who care deeply about addressing the inequities that exist in education.
What you’ll do…
Physical Education Program Management
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, and individual, dual, or team sports
- Works cooperatively with other PLT coaches in planning a balanced physical education program
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas
- Evaluates each student’s growth in physical skills, knowledge, and contribution in team/class activities
- Selects and requisitions equipment; maintains necessary inventory records
- Adapts curricula for students with disabilities or different physical abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California teaching credential
- Subject matter expertise and strong classroom management skills
- A strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to receive and implement feedback quickly.
You stand out by being…
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute tasks.
- Experienced: You have taught in an under-resourced community, and/or you have a background of shared experience with our scholars.
- Bilingual: Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org