POSITION: Behavior Paraprofessional
- Immediate Opening
- Full-time, hourly
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
The Behavioral Paraprofessional will provide targeted support to two middle school classrooms with significant social/emotional and behavioral needs. He or she will support the implementation of a therapeutic classroom structure, and provide in-the-moment behavior support and coaching for students. He or she is optimistic, positive, and relentlessly pursues results. Additionally, a strong candidate is empathetic, and believes that all students can achieve. Above all, a Behavioral Paraprofessional at Alpha is flexible, patient, and cares deeply for students with special needs.
- Provide individual and/or small group academic support in a therapeutic learning classroom
- Collaborate with special education teachers, paraprofessionals, and counselor to optimize services for students with special needs
- Support class team in implementing behavior structures
- Respond to higher level behaviors
- Remove students for check ins/resets
- Serve as point person when students elope
- Engage in extensive data tracking, and maintain records on behavioral data
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Communicates effectively with others, including giving and receiving feedback on the quality of services
- Compassionate and empathetic; positive even when facing challenging circumstances
- Able to read situational risk and react accordingly; able to effectively make judgment calls in order to minimize risk of staff or student injury
- Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work involved
- AA Required, BA preferred
- Strong experience in either ABA or a therapeutic classroom setting (non-public or district/county), required
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on staff capacity and organizational need.
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit the following via this link:
Email your questions to email@example.com:
- A cover letter that highlights your experience in education
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.