All Turtles is a product studio dedicated to solving meaningful problems for people and companies alike. We invest a combination of cash and services, in the form of deeply collaborative, hands-on work from our world-class team, in order to propel early-stage startups forward and increase the likelihood of shared success.
That shared success is what All Turtles is built upon. We are not an agency or consulting firm. Companies cannot hire us to work for them. We invest cash and services in return for equity, or we provide services in return for a combination of cash and equity, most often for companies that we’ve already invested in. Success for All Turtles is success for our studio companies and this reality permeates all aspects of what we do.
We’re at an inflection point. Our design team has always been the largest part of our world-class team, which has been a massive differentiator for us and so impactful for our studio companies. As we work to support our amazing team and scale to build for a future that we’re wildly enthusiastic about, we’re looking for a proven design leader who cares about what we care about and wants to apply their deep skills and experience in product and brand strategy, extending a culture of craft and execution, assertive prioritization and sequencing of work with flexible yet clear process, clear and empathetic communication, and a passion for people (on the design team as well as the founders we partner with).
If you enjoy making products and brands from scratch, partnering with passionate founders, and applying a strong and established perspective that leads to a real and lasting impact in the world, we should probably talk...
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Setting the vision for product and brand design and how the team collaborates with other disciplines and studio companies.
- Managing WHAT we do and WHY we do it for product and brand design teams and their respective managers.
- Leading the program management team in HOW we do what we do by shaping process and helping the team clearly articulate priorities.
- Hiring and growing the team.
- Constantly evolving and refining our design culture.
- Building trusted relationships with startup founders.
IDEALLY, YOU’LL HAVE
- 5-10 years leading a design team of 15 or more.
- Experience working with early-stage startups.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- A love of thoughtful product strategy, excellent user experience, and rapid iteration.
- A deep understanding of the power of brand and how it can come to life in a product.
- An appreciation for the immense role words play in user experience.
- A respect for proper use of typography, color, usability, and accessibility.
- A strong sense of concept development, in addition to communication, collaboration, research, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
- Experience leading teams that see projects from inception through to completion in a fast-paced environment, with a ruthless focus on quality and prioritization.
- Ability to work strategically across a variety of projects and an innate ability to know when to be more deeply involved and when to empower others to take the lead.
- Experience working with a wide range of products, brands, and people.
The Head of Design is a full-time position reporting to the COO. The All Turtles team is fully distributed, and this role can be based in any location. We offer equity, comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our US-based employees and their dependents, and a suite of optional benefits and perks programs including parental leave and flexible time off.
All Turtles is committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. If you’re not sure you meet all the qualifications, apply anyway. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.