Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
Affirm’s engineering team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure that is shared across multiple financial products. Ensuring that our infrastructure is available to all engineers is critical to the success of the business. We pride ourselves on our culture across engineering of writing blameless postmortems as well as writing detailed tech specs and gathering feedback before making large changes to systems.
The Traffic team owns critical routing and traffic management infrastructure for all of Affirm. Our customers are not only Affirm's users, but also other engineering teams at Affirm. The team is responsible for building and exposing simple interfaces for managing and routing traffic securely. Examples of components we own include the CDN edge routing layer to cache and optimize requests to affirm.com, the RPC layer for internal service-to-service communication within and across our Kubernetes clusters, and our gateway and sidecar artifacts that control and route traffic.
What You'll Do:
- Design frameworks, services, and tools to support new capabilities that help Affirm scale for millions of users and their transactions
- Lead technical decisions, projects, and roadmaps within the team and across all of Affirm. Define and own Affirm’s north-south and east-west traffic strategies across our Kubernetes clusters to improve performance and availability
- Collaborate with other technical leads, management, and stakeholders across the broader engineering organization
- Bring subject matter expertise in networking - including but not limited to security, monitoring, intra-AZ flows and in-depth network performance observability
- Build self-serve systems that are easy for other Engineering teams to use and operate
- Educate, mentor and grow junior and senior engineers in the team, and drive high standards around design, coding and testing.
What We Look For:
- Experience designing and owning fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems
- Experience with cloud networking infrastructure systems including service meshes, CDNs, API Gateways, Load Balancers, DNS, WAFs, proxies, HTTP and best practices for providing high availability services
- Experience with Kubernetes and Cloud Native projects such as Envoy, gRPC, CoreDNS, Linkerd, Prometheus, ArgoCD, OPA, KEDA, etc as well as Istio and NGINX
- Strong CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, C++, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or other cloud providers.
- Experience with IaC platforms such as CloudFormation or Terraform is a plus
- You value keeping costs low while building your products
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA 31
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.