Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
As a Data Engineer, you will play a meaningful role at the intersection of our Engineering, Data, and Infrastructure teams, ensuring the stability and performance of our systems as well as championing the "data first" approach. You must become comfortable with a fast-paced environment where you may need to shift responsibilities depending on business needs. We’re looking for someone who is willing to get stuck in and help build upon the foundation so that we can continue to build innovative data products.
What you'll do
- Design relational and non-relational database models
- Closely work with engineers and architects to identify the most appropriate persistence mechanism for a given business feature
- Supervise production environment to ensure stability and top performance
- Identify and tackle data-related production issues (together with engineers)
- Perform "lite" database administration tasks (such as user and role management)
- Be the steward of the Returnly data -- ensure consistency and standard methodologies across all databases
- Participate in design and implementation of monitoring and disaster recovery strategies
- Work with architects and site reliability engineers to come up with scalable, maintainable, and efficient cloud infrastructure for Returnly data
- Become part of a team of dedicated engineers to support the company’s accelerating business growth
- Work multi-functionally with some of the best people in different teams like engineering, data science, analytics, finance, product management, marketing & sales and, design
What we look for
- Strong RDBMS fundamentals, including normal forms, data warehousing, different modeling techniques
- Hands-on development and administration experience with at least one of the major open-source relational databases: MySQL or PostgreSQL
- High proficiency in SQL
- Experience with setting up and maintaining RDBMS in the cloud (AWS strongly preferred)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; attention to detail
- Understanding of and experience with NoSQL data stores such as Redis and DynamoDB
- Experience with BigData technologies (Spark in particular) will be seen as a bonus
- Backend programming experience in Java, Ruby, Python, or Golang is a strong plus
- BS or MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics or related quantitative field
- 4+ years of confirmed experience and a data-driven mentality
- Prior history of driving impact in a high-growth e-commerce/technology startup is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate and influence optimally across various departments
- Command of the English language, both written and spoken
Location - Remote Spain
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.