Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
At Affirm/Returnly, we value you as a whole person. We care about the skill set you bring to the table, but more importantly, we care about the kind of person you are and the culture and attitude you bring to the table. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will help build solutions that will be used by thousands of customers. You will find success in this role if you are a seasoned software engineer who appreciates real, technical challenges and building high-quality services.
What you'll do
- Build and enhance a highly configurable system that is used by thousands of companies and millions of shoppers
- Work with a highly collaborative team, where you will solve challenging problems
- Review each other’s code and pair-program to spread knowledge and produce higher-quality code
- Drive quality by writing unit, integration, and performance tests in a continuous delivery environment
- Make decisions based on data and be pragmatic
- Work closely with Product and Leadership
- Help define and prioritize features
- Produce documentation that helps the team understand complex parts of the system
- Go beyond engineering by working closely with our support representatives where we help triage and debug technical support requests
What we look for
- 6+ years industry experience and expert knowledge using JVM languages; Spring Boot and functional languages is a big plus
- Strong familiarity with *nix environment including bash and command-line tools
- Deep understanding of database methodology and database systems and strong experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Familiarity with RDBMS design for both OLTP and Data Warehousing is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of web service technologies, architectures, patterns and REST best-practices
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in a cloud environment (AWS a plus!), and event-driven architectures
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required. Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken is a must for communicating with a global team
- Startup experience, and/or demonstrable contributions to open source projects or similar is a big plus
Location - Remote Spain
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.