Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
The vision for the Data@ Affirm team is to enable a culture that empowers everyone by the use of meaningful, reliable, and readily available data when building a product or making a decision. Our team is responsible for frameworks for all things data including the metadata platform, OLAP storage, data replication, macro-batch processing, stream processing, data modeling, data exploration, data visualization, etc. Affirm is growing rapidly and so is the need for reliable and high availability frameworks. If solving infrastructure challenges at scale excites you, come join us!
Metadata is a foundational centralized component for Affirm’s data stack that enables us to track metadata from upstream data sources to drive downstream services including data lineage, discovery, validation, auditing capabilities, and privacy pipelines. This platform will power a number of use cases for our partners that include Machine Learning, Analytics, Operations, Privacy, and the overall Engineering team. As an Engineering Manager for this team, you will be joining the team at an early stage to build out the team through hiring, carve out the long-term strategy and vision, develop an execution plan, and help execute on it.
What You'll Do
- Build, grow and lead an inclusive, diverse, and distributed team of hardworking engineers responsible for building frameworks, systems and tools to enable a platform product that scales over millions of users and their transactions while adhering to data privacy and compliance.
- Provide technical leadership in building foundational systems.
- Lead by example, care for your team and establish credibility with the quality of the team's technical execution.
- Lead multi-functional projects through close collaboration with multiple engineering, technical program management, analytics teams, and product managers on security, tools, architecture, planning, and delivery of multiple concurrent projects.
- Provide leadership and growth opportunities to your team members, develop talent, mentor engineers, recruit and represent Affirm’s hiring brand.
What We Look For
- Minimum 2 years of experience leading a robust engineering team.
- Solid leadership,communication skills and driving inclusive discussions.
- Good experience in attracting, growing and retaining top engineering talent.
- Strong stakeholder management skills with a deep interest in helping other teams tackle technical challenges by aligning strategic roadmaps where necessary.
- Experience working optimally with one or more engineering teams as a customer and engineering leaders.
- Extensive management or tech-lead experience building and owning large-scale, geographically distributed backend, storage, database systems and services.
- Proven CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go and JVM-Based languages.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Experience in using OpenSource software to build technology solutions.
- Strong expertise with infrastructure scaling, database operations, system internals, file-systems, security, network, concurrency frameworks and container orchestration systems is a plus.
- Eager to learn new things and have a growth mindset.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication.
- Experience working in the data infrastructure domain is a plus.
- Working knowledge of OLAP systems like Snowflake or Redshift is a plus.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field.
- You obsess about keeping costs low while building your team and products.
- Familiarity with Linux is a plus
Location - Remote U.S.
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in the U.S. (exclusive of the U.S. Territories) and Canada (with the exception of Quebec).
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.