Who We Are
Addepar’s mission is to bring data, technology and people together to help investors make more informed and timely investment decisions. Our wealth management platform is transforming the fintech industry by providing data aggregation, analytics and reporting for even the most complex investment portfolios. Here, your voice matters. We believe that portfolio, market and client insights can make a significant and sustainable impact, one person and one community at a time. Working at the intersection of groundbreaking technology and limitless financial services industry growth, we are optimizing how capital is put to work.
We are currently seeking a Database Engineer to join our Site Reliability Engineering team!
As Addepar's SRE Database Administrator, you'll be responsible for ensuring the availability and reliability of Addepar's core production databases. You'll play a leading role in implementing and maintaining best practices for database administration. Addepar moves quickly, so it's vital that you ensure our databases are running at optimum speed and efficiency. This position involves critical duties and responsibilities that must continue to be performed during crises and contingency operations, which may necessitate extended hours of work. In this position, your responsibility will include system design, configuration, deployment, and operations of Database operations and Database observability systems and tools. These systems include monitoring services and infrastructure, log collection and analytics, and Database Performance Monitoring (DPM). Together these systems and tools serve as a critical part of Addepar’s Cloud infrastructure services. The ideal candidate will need to have a strong cloud platform, AWS Database Services, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Linux systems, and DBAOps experience, and demonstrate experience with database architecture and production workloads at scale.
What You’ll Do
- Assume administrative and operational ownership of Addepar's self-managed and AWS-based Database services, including MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Create, operate and deliver KPI-focused database monitoring solutions and reports using enterprise-grade Database observability methodologies and risk management processes.
- On-board Addepar Databases and critical applications to Enterprise Observability tools and services across Addepar to enable monitoring and alerting with best practices and standard Database Performance Monitoring (DPM) tools
- Troubleshoot and resolve database performance-related issues
- Establish customized monitoring dashboards, thresholds, alerting to enable Addepar application and support teams fully
- Establish, document, and maintain Database observability program including monitoring tools, support run books, and documentation to ensure proper monitoring in production is continuous
- Serve as a subject matter expert on Database Performance Monitoring (DPM), logging, and other observability & visualization tools
- Performance expert consultation and training services to our application development and platform support partners
- Support the high availability and disaster recovery options of Addepars Database instances - AlwaysOn Availability and Database Replication are in place and active
- Develop automated scripts for maintenance tasks
- Build, own, update and maintain all Database topology and architecture diagrams and documentation.
- Maintain, develop and report on metrics relative to Critical Incident Response Team activities for monthly business and flash reporting for senior leadership and internal business units
- Work with a team of experienced engineers to test your ideas and understand the system, and mentor junior team members
- Build and maintain successful relationships with existing and prospective members, ensuring end-to-end observability of Addepars platform
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills, and ability to function and communicate under pressure
- Participate and lead efforts involving incident response and root cause analysis for Site Reliability Engineering
- Being on-call and available for rotational shift support for production issues
- Demonstrate outstanding communication, flexibility, teamwork, and leadership
- Participate, present, and speak to KPI's metrics and uptime performance data in management and executive-level debriefs.
What You’ll Do
- 10+ years of experience in Database engineering or Database Administration.
- Developing pipelines using CICD tools: Github Actions and/or Jenkins is a plus.
- Linux/*NIX administration.
- Public cloud providers: AWS, Azure.
- Programming experience in Java, C++, Python, Go, or Deep experience managing large-scale software and distributed systems and environments.
- An understanding of and experience with web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- Understand database design, caching, scalability, and network fundamentals.
- 5+ years of experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Sensu, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus.
- An understanding of and experience with incident alerting platforms, Pagerduty
- Technical documentation skills, produced in a step-by-step manner, regarding every task.
- BS, or MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
- An understanding of and experience in Product/Project management and issue tracking systems (Jira, Smartsheets, Aha a plus)
- Demonstrated ability in leadership, facilitation, collaboration, and negotiation.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a highly matrix environment and align to common vision, objectives, and outcomes.
- Ability to translate complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals.
- Highly skilled at database design, installations, conversions responsible for database backup and recovery procedures, access security and database integrity, data storage design, and data storage management.
- Experienced in Database Performance, Maintenance (DPM), and Development to perform the following: Database management including backups, recovery, and maintenance; Database Disaster Recovery planning, testing, execution and documentation; Database Security policies, access control, and security settings; Database management for export, import, and mass data loads; Analyzes and generation of all tables and index statistics; Database monitoring and resolving bottlenecks and data lock issues, resolve issues on time; Check all statistics related to memory, locks, I/O, database response time, wait for events, top sessions, and background processes; On-Line Transaction Processing (OLTP) to capture, validate and store large amounts of transactions; Database guidance to engineers and participate in peer reviewing pull requests related to SQL code.
- AWS Certified Database - specialty
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect / Professional is a plus
Addepar was founded in 2009 by Palantir co-founder Joe Lonsdale, who currently serves as an active Chairman of its Board of Directors and General Partner at 8VC. Addepar works with hundreds of leading financial advisors, family offices and large financial institutions that manage data for over $3 trillion of assets on the company's platform. Addepar was named a Forbes Fintech 50 company and honored as a member of the CB Insights Fintech 250. Addepar is headquartered in Silicon Valley and has offices in New York City, Salt Lake City and Edinburgh, Scotland.
At Addepar, we are driven by our core values:
- Take Action - We believe in empowering each other to make decisions that elevate our colleagues and our communities.
- Build Together - We celebrate success by recognizing the value of collaborating with each other, our clients and partners.
- Best Ideas Win - We welcome new ideas that inspire change.
- Demand Transparency - We encourage open discussion and information-sharing to strengthen communication across organizations.
- Solve Problems that Matter - We put our community of clients and partners first by creating technology that meets their needs today
In addition to our core values, Addepar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We seek to bring together diverse ideas, experiences, skill sets, perspectives, backgrounds and identities to drive innovative solutions. We commit to promoting a welcoming environment where inclusion and belonging are held as a shared responsibility.
To ensure the health and safety of all Addepeeps and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience.
Unfortunately, at this time we cannot accept Colorado applicants.