The Part-Time Wave Operator is responsible for proper operation of the wave system. The Wave Operator also maintains responsibility for safety operations and assists in coordination of staff response during emergencies. The Wave Operator works under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Manager and must have a thorough understanding of all ‘Wave System’ operations, as well as lifeguard duties as they pertain to emergency communication and response.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Operate the wave system safely.
- Initiate the appropriate ‘wave shutdown’ in the event of an emergency or lifeguard response.
- Participate in all scheduled in-service training.
- Complete incident reports when required.
- Keep a concise log of downtime, faults, and performance related issues.
- Understand the Surf Ranch Wave System and Water Safety plan.
- Knowledge of the Surf Ranch site and facility operations.
- Operational understanding of ‘running’ the wave to ensure safety of all patrons and staff.
- Ability to communicate to staff during emergency response via 2-way radio, PA system, or other necessary means.
- Working knowledge of wave creation equipment such as winch, gears, pivot, water etc.
- Ability to keep a concise, accurate, and legible wave log.
Kelly Slater Wave Company (KSWC) is an innovative wave technology company. KSWC is the first company to develop a formula that combines cutting edge science, engineering, and design to create the longest, open-barrel, high-performance wave in existence. The Wave System can mimic the power, speed, and experience found in the best ocean waves. As envisioned by 11-time world champion Kelly Slater, KSWC was created to evolve the sport of surfing by making it more accessible. The company is creating world-class, high-performance training centers where top athletes can perfect their talent. In addition, the company is looking at development applications for surfers of any level to enjoy the best man-made waves.