The Vice President, Public Relations and Communications serves as a key member of the Marketing team and leads the Public Relations (PR) / Communications team. The executive will lead his or her team and provide strategic oversight in partnership with the cross-functional leadership team. This role reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Build global PR strategy/roadmap around the WSL’s key assets including: The WSL Tour & Events division, Digital, WSL Studio franchises, as well as the Wave Co. Technology offering.
- Develop long lasting media relationships that yield great coverage.
- Direct the company's relationships with key top-of-line press and social media influencers and bloggers; as well as direct relationships with trade press/influencers in support of business line communications.
- Collaborate with partners to leverage each other’s PR firepower to elevate the WSL
- Manage relationships with international agencies, freelancers and other partners who contribute to the PR function. Through skills and needs assessments, develop and manage a productive structure that encourages creativity and collaboration.
- Direct the creation and execution of media strategies and PR tools and rich stories to ensure quality media coverage for all Company brands.
- Develop messaging and outreach activities for topics including but not limited to corporate social responsibility, health and wellness, corporate and personal philanthropic efforts, innovation, public policy and other areas of strategic corporate significance.
- Elevate our athletes through insightful and distinctive storytelling
- Create a narrative and calendar of key moments to best communicate the WSL's story to the broadest consumer and media segments in the most compelling way.
- Creates a discipline and expertise around data, analytics and insights that can be monetized to grow the business
- Oversee and manage key reputational issues while maintaining a risk register to predict and eradicate or minimize potential threats; crisis communication
- Work closely with WSL senior management team on vetting speaking opportunities and honorariums; assist in drafting speeches and presentations.
- Works closely with a large diverse team to create an enterprise culture that is obsessed with understanding WSL fans, athletes, consumers and partners. Develop PR/Comms team into strategic thinkers and innovators in the space
- Deep business experience with related PR and Comms experience in the media/sports/entertainment industry
- Knows how to mine rich brand and athlete stories; then serve them up to the right targeted media
- Results-driven executive who enjoys not only building the strategy, but also rolling his or her sleeves up to drive results.
- Enjoys the challenge of cultivating new relationships as well as maintaining and grooming existing relationships to bolster brand recognition and presence in the media space
- Knowledge of both digital and traditional media business
- Demonstrated track record of planning, managing and executing on complex campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to establish effective relationships with all levels including executive management
- Excellent strategic thinking and analysis skills and a proven track record of creating solutions to drive client loyalty and grow revenue
- Ability to manage and grow internal and external cross functional relationships and partnerships
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working in similar role(s)
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best business practices in mind
- An exceptional work ethic
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Masterful organizational skills
- An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching and the development of people
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V