We are proud to belong to the TOP 1% of all employers in Germany 2021 & 2022!
At Wooga, we are very proud of the diverse, creative and friendly environment we have established and we believe you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry. Each of our Woogas plays an important role in our success as a company and in shaping our culture. We really value our razor-sharp focus on story-driven casual games, excellent craftsmanship, and the truly collaborative way of working. We create joyful experiences that awaken our players’ desire to see what happens next. Based in the heart of Berlin, with over 280 employees from around the world, we work together to create high-quality casual games with engaging stories at the core of the experience.
We are looking for someone with a passion for backend development and willingness to develop professionally to join our team.
Our Backend Engineering team is responsible for providing the tools and services we use to build and operate all our games, which are enjoyed by millions of users per month. We strive to improve the game development speed and remove the need for dedicated game backends. Desire to learn and willingness to solve problems are more important to us than experience with a specific programming language. Some of your responsibilities include:
- Develop, maintain and operate HTTP APIs and web apps, mainly written in Elixir
- Collaborate with our game teams on using our services and building new features
- Ensure stability and resilience of our services
- Work with AWS services and Kubernetes
- Take part in our team on-call rotation every few weeks (after an extensive onboarding period)
There are plenty of opportunities to learn and develop your backend engineering skills here at Wooga and define your own career path. Some of us are generalists, some of us choose to dive deep in specific topics. Members of our team are encouraged to learn in their own style and pace, with as much support from their peers as they need. You will be a part of a team rich with diverse engineering experience. We strive to be fast learners who support each other and adapt quickly to changes in requirements. With broad technical knowledge from HTTP, to distributed and scalable systems, to cloud infrastructure: we serve thousands of requests per second and make sure our game teams can count on us to build and run the services they need.
- You have experience as a backend engineer (game industry experience is a plus but not necessary)
- You are a team player and value collaboration
- You know your way around complex systems and know how to work with big codebases. We work mostly with Elixir - however, we care more about your engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language.
- Your English (both written and spoken) is good - no German skills are required, but we will help you learn if you’re keen!
Great if you know
- Elixir, Phoenix and LiveView
- Erlang, Ruby
- AWS Services
- Postgres, Redis, DynamoDB and Elasticsearch
- Hands-on experience using Kubernetes, Helm or Terraform
Please note: Research has shown that some under-represented groups in the gaming industry (eg: women) tend to apply only if they meet every single requirement. Here at Wooga, the desire to learn and the willingness to solve problems are more important to us than your experience on paper. We encourage you to apply even if you do not think that you tick all the boxes - thinking outside of such boxes and embracing the diversity of mindsets and backgrounds is what we believe makes our teams thrive.
- Shape the future! Challenge the status quo and team up with a diverse group of experts (over 50 nationalities!) working on crafting the world’s best games.
- Located in Europe’s most creative city with low cost of living and high quality of life. We offer a generous relocation package and home search support if you are not already located in Berlin. Did we mention that we also cooperate with Kindergartens?
- Make use of a significant education budget and extra days off for self-development. Join our meet-ups, talks, brown bag lunches, internal trainings, workshops and many others.
- Enjoy the yoga, mindfulness app, sports and transport subsidies. And a Purpose Day to donate your time to a worthy cause!
- Participate in the company’s success - we offer a quarterly bonus scheme!
- Did you know that German is the third most commonly taught language worldwide? Learn it too! We offer German language classes for you and your significant other.
- Choose your own equipment and be set up for success! We also provide you with a work-from-home budget, which you can invest in a well-functioning home office setup. We got your back!
At Wooga we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for everyone who works here or with us, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion (or lack thereof) and game preferences. Be yourself, we like you that way!