Position Title: Senior Director of Software Engineering
Company: Well-funded stealth company focused on disrupting healthcare through a differentiated consumer experience and a world-class data & analytics engine to drive engagement and behavior change. The product will sell directly to both Fortune 500 CEOs and full risk populations, integrating layers of analytics, digital, concierge services, behavioral health, telemedicine, care management and wellness services to drive sustained engagement, lower costs and improve health. A key differentiator to drive the company’s success will be a highly diverse, engaged organization whose employees are passionate about the mission of the company and whose management is passionate about the employees.
Reporting To: Chief Technology Officer
- As our Senior Director of Software Engineering, your primary mission will be to staff and manage a core set of directors and managers in the implementation and delivery of Well’s software products. This includes the enhancement and maintenance of a wide array of user interface applications and supporting cloud native services fulfilling the needs of our products. These products consist of internally focused administrative and call center web applications, externally facing enterprise and consumer facing web applications, and consumer facing iOS and Android mobile applications. These applications must meet the security requirements in a HIPAA / HITECH / HITRUST environment. By working with key engineering, operational, and business stakeholders, you will manage the team in the execution of these applications in an innovative way utilizing modern cloud and software technologies. This role will work with the CTO to build out several dynamic and robust teams to deliver the necessary software functionality for all internal and external stakeholders.
- To be successful in this role, you must be able to execute and get your teams to get stuff done. Your tasks will include the creation and management of several software engineering teams made up of both permanent and contract resources. You must be able to motivate and direct software engineering teams to deliver high quality solutions on time. You must be able to take high level requirements and break them down into manageable tasks for your direct reports and development teams. These tasks and more will be required to enable the product and business to achieve all of its goals.
- This individual will be expected to collaborate with current team members, including industry-leading executives within cloud technology infrastructure, business infrastructure, predictive data analytics, and healthcare operations to deliver secure, stable, and well-maintained products. Additionally, this individual would be expected to manage current software engineering resources.
- Immediate need is a proven-leader to lead disciplined decision-making and planning (requirements, roadmap, budget) related to software engineering, security, and back end service integration best practices.
- Strong preference is for this person to be located in our IT hub of Minneapolis, MN. Co-location with our team will be critical for this role.
- Lead a software engineering management team in the planning, build out, and maintenance of secure enterprise and consumer facing properties
- Work with the Chief Technology Officer and Principal Architect in the architecture of a world class healthcare technology product
- Collaborate with the Engineering leadership team to ensure all security, product, architecture, and quality requirements are planned and implemented
- Recruit direct management resources along with engineering leads and direct contributors
- Play a key role in ensuring development practices meet and influence information security best practices to ensure all compliance requirements are met
- Work with 3rd party vendors to ensure best in class architecture and use of modern SaaS tooling
- Guide, influence, and promote the experimentation and development of novel solutions to complex problems
- Support and influence engineering activities (e.g., agile practices, CI/CD tooling, user interface framework selection, user acceptance testing, development best practices, and debugging and application monitoring solutions)
- Ensure all IT policies are followed and make recommendations to improve such policies to ensure an agile and innovative culture
- Ensure all proper monitoring and redundancy are in place to ensure the reliability required by the business and its products utilizing modern SaaS based solutions
- Perform analysis on incidents and quality of service to improve all facets of support over time
- Stay abreast of innovative and new technologies and solutions to reduce overhead, cost, and maintenance
- 6+ years of large team software management experience, managing both managers and their engineering staff
- Experience in the build and support of modern cloud based applications at scale
- Familiarity with industry leading cloud technologies, with experience in high security cloud infrastructure preferred
- Proven work and management experience in rapid and agile development at scale while preserving an innovative mindset and remaining open to exploring new ways to ensure rapid delivery of features in a secure and robust manner
- Experience building and leading teams, from the ground up
- Experience working with teams utilizing modern infrastructure, cloud, and information security systems and techniques
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including formal presentations for all levels of management combined with strong collaboration and influencing abilities
- Ability to navigate a venture-backed start-up atmosphere, including leadership and prioritized decision-making with imperfect information
- Demonstrated collaborative style, with the ability to influence diverse teams and build strong relationships across various internal stakeholders and constituents
- Lead a management team in the development of software applications through completion
- Familiar with modern software technologies
- Start-up like mentality and desire to innovate at pace
- Ability to recruit top talent and motivate the team
- Looked to for technology leadership, innovation, and problem solving
- Credibility from a technology perspective, including recent projects, solutions, and build out examples
- Ability to plan, forecast, and build a scalable solution on budget/timeline
- Experience in public cloud offerings and capabilities
- Looked to for technology, innovation, and problem solving leadership
- Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in engineering or computer science