Important Note: this position requires overnight hours.
The Trader will join the Weiss Asset Management (WAM) Asia desk, which is located in Boston but works overnight and pursues investment opportunities across asset classes in a range of Asian markets. A successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, have an exceptional attention to detail, and will seek to improve existing trading plans and operational processes. This person can expect to gain exposure to multiple markets and asset classes, quickly assimilate into daily trading on an active desk, and have the opportunity to grow as an investment professional in the long-term. The ideal candidate has 1-5 years of previous treasury or execution trading experience. Familiarity with SQL and Excel is preferred.
A successful Asia Desk Trader will participate in all aspects of the desk’s trading and operations functions, with an emphasis on the following in the first two years:
- Manage all aspects of equity and fixed income borrow trading, including maintaining relationships with external stock loan desks, negotiating rates, and maintaining internal databases
- High touch execution trading with an extremely low error rate
- Proactively look for opportunities to optimize treasury processes and controls, enhance policies, reporting tools and data quality
- Facilitating and collecting data on equity capital markets transactions, on a daily basis
About the company:
Weiss Asset Management is a Boston-based investment firm whose hedge funds and institutional accounts invest approximately $2.7 billion globally. For 30 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that our co-president and the majority of our managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact and data, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.