Weiss Asset Management (WAM), a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking a Quantitative Research Analyst to to support senior investment professionals. Passion and experience in quantitative research are preferred, but we will consider candidates with relevant academic backgrounds. A successful candidate will be an independent thinker, but will thrive in a collaborate environment and employ strong written and verbal communication to integrate with the broader investment team.
- Identifying novel sources of and uses for data in investment decision making.
- Running studies and building reports to improve existing quantitative studies.
- Back-testing, implementing, managing, and developing quantitative strategies.
- Assembling and maintaining data sets.
- Reading academic papers and financial documents, and identifying portions of economic significance.
- Investigating trends and investments of competitors in the hedge fund space.
An Ideal Candidate Would Have:
- Degree in quantitative or scientific field, either of a graduate level or a bachelors with at least one year's experience doing quantitative research in a rigorous environment.
- Fluency with (or ability to quickly develop fluency with) R and Python.
- Interest in the application of statistical methods to solving investment problems, exploring for additional sources of data and thinking creatively about alternatives uses of data.
- Strong interest in understanding market events by exploring and interpreting data.
- Systematic and clear approach to documentation of results and research.
About the company:
Weiss Asset Management is a Boston-based investment firm whose hedge funds and institutional accounts invest approximately $2 billion globally. For over 25 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge academic and industry research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer.