Weiss Asset Management, a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking a risk analyst to join our Investment Team and report directly to the Investment Committee and Portfolio Managers. A successful candidate will be execution focused, detail oriented, and have two to five years’ experience in a data-intensive risk management role. He/she must demonstrate strong interest in and familiarity with finance and financial instruments, understanding of concepts in risk management and statistics, and proficiency in data analysis and visualization using tools including but not limited to SQL, Python, and Excel. A risk analyst at Weiss makes use of strong economic sensibility, ability to catch errors and adapt to new situations.
- Gather risk data both independently and collaboratively with trading team and operations staff
- Interact with the Risk Committee, Treasury team, and the IT team to design Data Structures to measure key correlated risks
- Ensure complete and up-to-date data for use in risk management
- Interact with the Risk Committee, Treasury team, and IT to build and enhance data population systems, as well as external data sources and vendor data
- Design, automate and publish reports to the Investment Committee, portfolio managers and analysts
- Execute on portfolio risk scenario analysis projects through data collection, validation analysis and report generation
- Communicate with operations and investment analysts regarding risk inputs and outputs and with software and operations team regarding systems
- Document methodology and background of reports
- Manage risk databases that allow centralization and produce new insights and risk factors effectively
- Generate high-quality regular reporting and customize as needed for the Investment Committee
- Model multiple portfolio-wide risk scenarios and initiate discussion with analysts on risk inputs, risk under-writing, reporting and data-related issues
Preferably, the candidate can also:
- Organize and participate in individual strategy Risk Review meetings
- Manage a scenario list of newly identified risks and plan responses accordingly
- Lead research efforts by collecting historical macro and micro data on risk events and other one-off historical risk studies as requested
- Maintain up to date knowledge on current events as building blocks for scenario modelling
- Contribute to definitions of report outputs and inputs
About the company:
Weiss Asset Management is a Boston-based investment firm whose hedge funds and institutional accounts invest approximately $2 billion globally. For over 25 years, WAM has developed proprietary value-based strategies designed to deliver top-tier returns to its investors, which include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. Our collaborative culture and our analytically rigorous approach to problem solving foster cutting-edge academic and industry research.
Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement. Our team of over 80 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic, not titles, will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that 3 of our 4 managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer.