Who are we?
Our team is the first in the world to use autonomous vehicles on public roads using end-to-end deep learning, computer vision and reinforcement learning. Leveraging our multi-national world-class team of researchers and engineers, we’re using data to learn more intelligent algorithms to bring autonomy for everyone, everywhere. We aim to be the future of self-driving cars, learning from experience and data.
Where you’ll have an impact
We are currently looking for people with research expertise in AI applied to autonomous driving or similar robotics or decision making domain, inclusive, but not limited to the following specific areas:
- Foundation models for robotics
- Model-free and model-based reinforcement learning
- Offline reinforcement learning
- Large language models
- Planning with learned models, model predictive control and tree search
- Imitation learning, inverse reinforcement learning and causal inference
- Learned agent models: behavioral and physical models of cars, people, and other dynamic agents
You'll be working on some of the world's hardest problems, and able to attack them in new ways. You'll be a key member of our diverse, cross-disciplinary team, helping teach our robots how to drive safely and comfortably in complex real-world environments. This encompasses many aspects of research across perception, prediction, planning, and control, including:
- How to leverage our large, rich, and diverse sources of real-world driving data
- How to architect our models to best employ the latest advances in foundation models, transformers, world models, etc.
- Which learning algorithms to use (e.g. reinforcement learning, behavioural cloning)
- How to leverage simulation for controlled experimental insight, training data augmentation, and re-simulation
- How to scale models efficiently across data, model size, and compute, while maintaining efficient deployment on the car
As a Principal Scientist, you’ll be expected to contribute actively to the Science leadership team, inclusive of proposing new projects, organising their work, and delivering substantial impact across Wayve.
You also have the potential to contribute to academic publications for top-tier conferences like NeurIPS, CVPR, ICRA, ICLR, CoRL etc. working in a world-class team to achieve this.
What you’ll bring to Wayve
- Thorough knowledge of and 5+ years applied experience in AI research, computer vision, deep learning, reinforcement learning or robotics
- Ability to deliver high quality code and familiarity with deep learning frameworks (Python and Pytorch preferred)
- Experience leading a research agenda aligned with larger goals
- Industrial and / or academic experience in deep learning, software engineering, automotive or robotics
- Experience working with training data, metrics, visualisation tools, and in-depth analysis of results
- Ability to understand, author and critique cutting-edge research papers
- Familiarity with code-reviewing, C++, Linux, Git is a plus
- PhD in a relevant area and / or track records of delivering value through machine learning are a big plus.
What we offer you
- Attractive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomy and tackle the biggest challenge of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Relocation support with visa sponsorship
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your time
- Benefits such as an onsite chef, workplace nursery scheme, private health insurance, therapy, daily yoga, onsite bar, large social budgets, unlimited L&D requests, enhanced parental leave, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.