Who are we?
We’re building artificial intelligence capable of complex driving using end-to-end deep learning; one which can scale across diverse urban environments. Wayve is building a full driving software system which is data-driven at every layer, learning to drive. Our unique end-to-end machine learning approach learns to drive in complex, never-seen-before urban environments. We learn to drive with computer vision by both observing human driving, and by using reinforcement learning.
This is one of the world’s hardest and most impactful problems to solve. Which is why we’re building a diverse, world-class team of people who are motivated by the opportunity to work with brilliant people on challenging problems that leave a positive impact on society.
Where you’ll have an impact
We are looking for hands-on candidates who have experience developing software running on embedded, distributed devices. In this role, you will work within a multi-disciplinary engineering team to deliver products which allow Wayve to collect data at massive scale from fleets of vehicles. This scale of data is essential for Wayve to design, train, and validate the best driving models in the world.
Data is at the heart of everything Wayve does: we are a data-oriented company through and through. Our autonomy is designed, built, and validated both using data directly, but also based on insights from metrics and performance criteria guided by data. You’ll be building the fundamental units of the world’s biggest fleet data tap by creating smart software solutions running on the edge which provide Wayve’s systems with the highest-quality and most-relevant data possible.
This means you will:
- Build software which captures, processes, and curates data, running at massive distributed scale and quality necessary for “full self-driving”
- Deliver and maintain soft-real-time Linux-based software systems to a fleet of embedded devices on automobiles. Including data collection and storage as well as machine learning inference on the edge
- Create robust, fault tolerant software solutions, with robust system telemetry so we can quickly and efficiently resolve any issues preventing our distributed fleet from operating at maximum capacity
- Design, implement, and use performance review tools to improve performance and resolve both ad-hoc and systemic issues
- Work collaboratively with a team of software and hardware engineers to design and build new iterations of data collection products, from the ground up where necessary
What you’ll bring to Wayve
- Experience writing high-performance code in either Rust, C++, C, or similar
- Experience developing software for Linux-based systems
- Experience writing networked software using, for example, TCP/IP, HTTP(S), MQTT, AMQP, etc.
- Good grasp of computer science fundamentals: operating systems, data structures, algorithm design, etc.
- Knowledge of working with distributed computing
- Knowledge of sound software engineering practices - what makes code reusable, extensible, and robust
- You enjoy working in a dynamic startup environment and are able to work effectively and collaboratively in a team navigating the ambiguity of new technology development
- Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in computer science, computer engineering, or adjacent technical field or equivalent experience
- Experience working with video cameras or other sensors as part of a wider software system
- Experience writing or modifying Linux device drivers in C
- Experience in Rust
- Experience with building IoT distributions, e.g. using Yocto or buildroot
- Experience developing for embedded microcontrollers
- Experience in Python
- Experience working with users, shaping features and tools to fit their needs
- Some knowledge of modern machine learning is a plus, in particular computer vision systems
What we offer you
- Attractive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomous driving and tackle the biggest challenge of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Relocation support with visa sponsorship
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Private onsite chef, in-house bar, lots of socials, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.