Warby Parker is on the lookout for a Research Engineer to help imagine and build the next generation of innovative and eye-catching products. As a member of the Research and Development team, you’ll work across departments to bring better vision care and experiences to our customers. In this role, you’ll handle continuously evolving projects that require a passion for learning, curiosity, and perseverance. You’ll develop solutions for present (and future!) technical and business challenges with creativity and a multi-disciplinary mindset. Sound a lot like you? Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Develop imaginative solutions that will power the future Warby Parker products and services
- Apply your technical expertise in engineering, software, data analysis, machine learning, and beyond to support multiple Research and Development programs at a time
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to define opportunities not met by existing tools
- Document discoveries and support application of your work across teams, ensuring the smooth graduation of successful projects to Product teams
- Research and build technical reviews for new initiatives within core research subjects, benchmarking against best-in-class comparable examples
- Collaborate with broader research communities to identify options that will address emerging and long-standing challenges
- Identify and capture new inventions as patents
Who you are:
- Backed by a BS or MS in computer, biomedical, mechanical engineering, or related fields with 2+ years of research experience
- Able to prove your innovations and discoveries through published works, public source code, conference presentations, or patents
- Proficient in one or more modern programming languages such as Python, Go, or Swift
- A well-rounded communicator able to clearly present and document complex subjects for technical peers and stakeholders
- Organized and attentive to detail while also comfortable with ambiguity and juggling multiple priorities
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- PhD or equivalent (and excited to keep learning!)
- Proficient in mechanical and/or optical modeling packages such as Solidworks or Zemax
- Experience with computer vision, machine learning, iOS development, vision or clinical vision care research, e-commerce product development, and project management
- Passionate about translating and sharing new technologies
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We accomplish this by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We’ve proven that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy and innovation to consistently surpass customer expectations.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.