Warby Parker is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join our close-knit Legal team, report to our General Counsel, and own a variety of legal tasks. In this role, you’ll advise the company on a broad range of corporate, securities, and governance matters. You’ll help the General Counsel in developing the corporate and securities function as Warby Parker builds to the next stage of growth, including public company readiness. You’ll also assist the Legal team in developing our compliance program and advising business clients on drafting and negotiating contracts. We’ll also count on you to be a top-notch multitasker and provide practical, clear, and concise advice to the Board and the executive team. Sound like the job for you? Keep on reading!
What you’ll do:
- Provide day-to-day counseling and advice on corporate and securities law matters
- Support the General Counsel in advising the Board of Directors on corporate governance and improving Board processes and practices, including the preparation of Board materials, minutes, and governance policy updates
- Work closely with the Finance team (especially the controller’s group) on financial reporting, equity administration, and disclosure issues
- Advise on executive compensation and private company equity grant matters
- Help build a best-in-class corporate and securities function that can ultimately operate in a public company setting
- Effectively manage outside counsel in complex financing and other corporate and M&A transactions, including secondary and primary financing transactions
- Manage the corporate governance of our subsidiary and affiliate entities
- Assist the Legal team in developing Warby Parker’s compliance program, including policy and training documents
- Aid in the review, drafting, and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial contracts
Who you are:
- An attorney with a JD and admission to a state bar (preferably NY)
- Equipped with 10+ years of relevant in-house and/or top-firm experience
- A clear, collaborative communicator with a huge attention to detail and organizational prowess
- Armed with extensive knowledge of corporate and securities law for public companies, especially when it comes to SEC and stock exchange compliance as well as ‘34 Act reporting obligations
- A skillful drafter and issue-spotter completely capable of assessing both legal and business risks
- Experienced reviewing earnings press releases and other public disclosures
- Knowledgeable of Section 16 reporting and insider trading compliance matters
- An eager, flexible learner who’s confident in handling tasks and answering questions you’ve never faced
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Experience representing retail and/or emerging-growth companies, especially at a fast-paced public or late-stage private company
- History of building and managing a team
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact—and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.