We are looking for a highly motivated Counsel, Commercial & Corporate. This role will report to the VP of Operations.
Why work at Voltron Data?
- We’re Going for Impact: We are a Series A, venture-backed startup assembling a global team to build a new foundation for data analytics with Apache Arrow. This foundation will usher in a wave of innovation in data processing that can take full advantage of the speed and efficiency offered by modern hardware.
- We’re Committed to Bridging Open Source Communities: We are a collection of open source maintainers who have been driving open source ecosystems over the last 15 years, particularly in the C++, Python, and R programming ecosystems.
- We’re Building a Diverse, Inclusive Company: We are creating a representative, equitable, and respectful workplace that prioritizes employee growth. Everyone at Voltron Data is bought into the company’s success; all voices are critical to shaping the organization’s future.
What you get to do every day:
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of commercial, corporate, and employment law issues, including SOWs, valuations, patents, recruiting, employee relations, pay equity, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, and immigration.
- Structure, draft, negotiate, and counsel on a broad range of commercial transactions and vendor agreements, including partnering with our Sales team and other stakeholders
- Review and advise on legal issues involving Voltron Data’s regulatory compliance
- Interface with business units across the organization (Growth, Operations, Enterprise Tech, Engineering, Marketing, Product, and People) and provide practical and effective strategic business and legal advice
- Recommend, develop, and implement training to address compliance, commercial, and other needs
- Manage Voltron Data’s execution of legal documents; Draft, review and update employment related agreements and templates
- Develop and implement tools, playbooks, and other creative solutions to enable business self-service for contracting needs and drive efficiencies
- Develop, monitor and continuously improve metrics relating to Voltron Data’s contracting work
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve Voltron Data’s contracts, templates, and other agreements to ensure maximum protection while balancing business needs
- Act as a primary stakeholder and lead coordination in legal diligence projects, fundraising, IPO readiness,Valuation, M&A transactions, and other corporate transactions
- Maintain a deep understanding of Voltron Data’s corporate documents to provide guidance to executive leaders on corporate matters
- Special projects as needed to support Legal & Compliance goals and initiatives
- Evaluate, iterate and scale employment practices and policies at a growing organization
- Work with HR to manage employment-related disputes
- Conduct audits, employment classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law, and government enforcement activities relating to employment issues and provide proactive, strategic advice to the relevant stakeholders
What you bring to the role:
- JD and member in good standing of a state bar; Nice to have: JD/MBA
- Required: At least 3 years of legal experience in an organization that has quickly scaled; Nice to have: 2-6 years in a medium or large law firm setting
- In-house experience responding to compliance, commercial, data protection, and intellectual property needs, in a SaaS or Cloud environment
- Focused experience with B2B SaaS contract drafting and negotiation
- Ability to prioritize and manage business expectations in a high volume environment
- Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform and thrive in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment
- Flexibility and creativity, with the initiative to work through multiple solutions to issues and proactively and reliably drive projects forward
- Able to excel both independently and in a team environment
The salary range for this role is between $165,000 - $220,000. This information reflects a base salary range for this position based on current market data, and may vary by location. Exact compensation will be determined by the candidates' skills, experience, and other relevant factors. This position is also eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards.
• Work from Anywhere - Payroll and Benefits in 150+ Countries
• Unlimited PTO
• Medical, Dental, and Vision
• Retirement [USA Only]
• Home Office Budget
• Continuing Education Budget
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.