Why work at Voltron Data?
- We are Going for Impact: We are a Series A, venture-backed startup assembling a global team to build a new foundation for data analytics with Apache Arrow. This foundation will usher in a wave of innovation in data processing that can take full advantage of the speed and efficiency offered by modern hardware.
- We are Committed to Bridging Open Source Communities: We are a collection of open source maintainers who have been driving open source ecosystems over the last 15 years, particularly in the C++, Python, and R programming ecosystems.
- We are Building a Diverse, Inclusive Company: We are creating a representative, equitable, and respectful workplace that prioritizes employee growth. Everyone at Voltron Data is bought into the company’s success; all voices are critical to shaping the organization’s future.
Below is a rough timeline of where you can expect to be at different points during your career path starting in this position.
- Spending time learning about the Apache Arrow compute primitives, compute intermediate representation, query parser and optimizer and other foundational components.
- Diving into data processing engine architecture, how different components interact with each other and how data flows through a compute graph.
- Learning and embracing the Apache development process.
Within a month:
- Profiling query runs for data engines and analyzing the execution telemetry to better understand how query engines works.
- Diving deep into the various relational algebra algorithms to understand how they work and how they can be improved.
- Working with the team on fixing bugs, implementing simple optimizations or code refactoring projects.
- Make small improvements to more sophisticated engine components such as resource management, task scheduling, and fault tolerance.
Within 6 months:
- Building new relational algebra components to expand SQL coverage or DataFrame functionality coverage.
- Making small improvements to more sophisticated engine components such as resource management, task scheduling, and fault tolerance.
- Helping systems improve by using more modular and composable components.
- Propose and implement core architecture improvements to engines components.
Within 12 months:
- Proposing and implementing core architecture improvements to engines components.
- Working on challenging tasks such as language agnostic user defined functions, multi-query concurrency, and multi-tenancy.
- Integrating engines with other components and features developed by other teams in the company to provide enterprise grade customer experiences.
- Lead core technical projects improving the engine architecture and performance.
Previous experience that could be helpful:
- Experience with data processing engines or frameworks.
- Experience in distributed systems.
- Working with SQL and non-SQL systems and their computational abstractions.
- Developing in C++, especially using modern C++.
- Developing for multiple types of hardware.
US Compensation - The salary range for this role is between $165,000 to $220,000. We have a global market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the base pay range is a guideline and for candidates who receive an offer, the exact base pay will vary based on factors such as actual work location, skills and experience of the candidate. This position is also eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards.