As a Senior Backend / Core Engineer, you’ll partner with the rest of the engineering team and product managers to continuously expand and deliver Vendia’s innovative, multi-cloud, distributed data platform. You’ll be responsible for critical outcomes including the scalability, availability, latency, and fault tolerance of our massively multi-tenanted distributed systems. You’ll design, develop, and deliver critical customer-facing functionality, enabling our enterprise users to create applications that share and manage vast amounts of operational data with their business partners in real time. You will also enable net-new customer scenarios by expanding Vendia beyond AWS into new public cloud offerings including Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform as well as innovating on new services yet to be announced.
Vendia is seeking a Senior Backend / Core Engineer with extensive distributed systems experience in designing, developing, and owning massive, multi-tenanted systems. Qualified candidates will have added “9s” of availability to existing cloud-based services, diagnosed and removed long-tail jitter, and driven industry best practices such as automation and CI/CD pipelines. You should possess a strong customer-centric, product-oriented background with multiple examples of delivering and owning mission-critical, 24x7x365 services end to end, including oncall experience. As the company grows, you will also help recruit, mentor, and scale the engineering team.
We are a virtual company seeking employees who can operate within +/- 5 hours of the US Pacific Time Zone.
As a Senior Backend / Core Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing a cloud-based, fully managed, server-side architecture at the core of Vendia’s real-time distributed data platform.
- Influencing the overall vision of Vendia’s offerings by collaborating with Product and Design teams to create suites of products that help customers manage large volumes of real-time data.
- Implementing best practices, including automation, CI/CD workflows, testing and quality controls, security, performance optimization, and more.
- Partnering with leadership to create engineering roadmaps that balance new features with rapid customer growth and engineering excellence.
- 5+ years experience software development in a distributed engineering role with direct operational responsibility, preferably on a public cloud service.
- Teaching-level mastery in at least one of the following languages: Python, Java, Go, Node.
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB), Serverless AWS Services (e.g. AWS Lambda, API Gateway, AWS Cognito) or equivalent on Azure, GCP.
- Experienced with industry best practices, including testing frameworks, CI/CD pipelines and OpEx.
- Ability to plan projects, communicate status and deliver results while keeping high quality standards.
- 4 year undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or, Math.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience at a startup or similar fast-paced environment, ideally with cloud-based applications, infrastructure services, and/or enterprise SaaS offerings.
- Experience working with multiple clouds, including two or more of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
- Masters, PhD, or other advanced academic degree in Computer Science, Cryptography, or related areas.
- Transparent work products, such as GitHub commits to a well-known open source project.
- Willingness to engage in public speaking/events and perform customer demonstrations and training.
Vendia is the only real-time data cloud company that enables customers to free critical data stuck in traditional applications, data stores, cloud service providers, and other silos. We provide the undifferentiated services and infrastructure necessary to share data safely and securely. By combining serverless blockchains, ledgers, access control, smart APIs and more, Vendia delivers governance and compliance with industry standards, allowing companies to focus on what matters most: their customer experience.
Our customers span industries – from automotive and food & beverage, to travel, hospitality, and not-for-profits. They use Vendia to solve challenging data sharing and data integration problems: real-time supply chain and logistics tracking, settlement of physical and digital contracts, consolidating the data needed to drive AI/ML inferencing, and more. Our employees helped create industry-changing services like AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, API Gateway, and many more. We are taking that expertise and continuing the tradition at Vendia. We build disruptive, innovative technologies that combine the best of Serverless, distributed ledgers, and massively scaled cloud-based services that deliver business value to our customers.
Vendia is a rapidly growing, minority-owned startup headquartered in San Francisco and Seattle, serving the needs of enterprises around the globe. Our recent $30M Series B investment has enabled us to accelerate our vision of multi-party data sharing, and we are growing rapidly. We embrace remote workers but also love interactive development. Our culture is dynamic, with a focus on rapid, iterative delivery and continuous learning from customer engagements. Most importantly, we are a "succeed or fail together" company - everyone here plays nicely with each other, a culture we’ve enshrined in our Kind Humans Policy, and a key requirement for all job applicants.