Vendia is seeking a Principal Backend / Core Engineer with extensive distributed systems experience in designing, developing, and owning massive, multi-tenanted systems. Qualified candidates will have added “9s” of availability to existing cloud-based services, diagnosed and removed long-tail jitter, and driven industry best practices such as automation and CI/CD pipelines. You should possess a strong customer-centric, product-oriented background with multiple examples of delivering and owning mission-critical, 24x7x365 services end to end, including oncall experience. As the company grows, you will also help recruit, mentor, and scale the engineering team.
As a Principal Backend / Core Engineer, you’ll partner with the rest of the engineering team and product managers to continuously expand and deliver Vendia’s innovative, multi-cloud, distributed data platform for building and running universal applications. You’ll be responsible for critical outcomes including the scalability, availability, latency, and fault tolerance of our massively multi-tenanted distributed systems. You’ll design, develop, and deliver critical customer-facing functionality, enabling our enterprise users to create applications that share and manage vast amounts of operational data with their business partners in real-time.
*This position prefers residency within the Seattle Metro region.
As a Principal Backend / Core Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing a cloud-based, fully managed, server-side architecture at the core of Vendia’s real-time distributed data platform.
- Influencing the overall vision of Vendia’s offerings by collaborating with Product and Design teams to create suites of products that help customers manage large volumes of real-time data.
- Implementing best practices, including automation, CI/CD workflows, testing and quality controls, security, performance optimization, and more.
- 8+ years experience software development in a distributed engineering role with direct operational responsibility
- Experience in programming languages such as Rust, Python, Go, C#
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB), Serverless AWS Services (e.g. AWS Lambda, API Gateway, AWS Cognito) or equivalent on Azure, GCP.
- Experienced with industry best practices, including testing frameworks, CI/CD pipelines and OpEx.
- Ability to plan projects, communicate status and deliver results while keeping high quality standards.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience at a startup or similar fast-paced environment, ideally with cloud-based applications, infrastructure services, and/or enterprise SaaS offerings.
- Prior experience working on distributed database systems
- Experience working on highly available distributed systems
- Strong ownership and experience collaboratively designing and building product features
All Engineers at Vendia are culturally well-rounded: You enjoy working on a team, contributing back as much as you learn from others while acknowledging no job is too small or too big. You are relentlessly self critical and data driven, holding yourself to the highest standards. You love all aspects of software development, but you are especially passionate about building tools and platforms that our customers can leverage.
- Compensation decisions are determined using a variety of factors and individual qualifications. Our salary range for this position for full-time employees in the United States is $160,000 - $210,000.
- Our benefits offerings include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401 (k), Responsible Adults Paid Time Off Policy, paid holidays including Winter Break, and a home office setup stipend.
We are an innovative solution for real-time and trusted multi-party data visibility and insights, powered by our patented distributed and serverless blockchain technology, so enterprises can automate and accelerate data workflows across business networks. Some of the world’s biggest brands are already leveraging Vendia to bring strategic partners together and quickly build data applications that unlock revenue, innovation, and cost savings.
Vendia is a rapidly growing, minority-owned startup headquartered in San Francisco and Seattle, backed by $50M in investment from top-tier investors. Vendia was founded by industry veterans, Dr. Tim Wagner, the inventor of Lambda serverless computing at Amazon Web Services and VP of Engineering at Coinbase, and Shruthi Rao who led go-to-market of Serverless and Blockchain at Amazon Web Services.
We embrace remote workers but also love interactive development. Our culture is dynamic, with a focus on rapid, iterative delivery and continuous learning from customer engagements. Most importantly, we are a "succeed or fail together" company - everyone here plays nicely with each other, a culture we’ve enshrined in our Kind Humans Policy, and a key requirement for all job applicants.