Are you are a seasoned UX designer with a strong point of view, hungry to grow, and the desire to build category-defining products that make a difference in the lives of customers? Varsity Tutors is seeking seasoned product designers who are seeking that “right” opportunity, where you will be mentored, entrusted with hard problems, challenged to lead with vision, and expected to be a strategic voice in product conversations. We operate a fast-growing live learning platform with high-quality tutors, mobile learning apps, online learning environments, and other academic and test prep-focused technologies. In 2015, the company raised $57 million in venture capital from Technology Crossover Ventures, the Answers.com executive team, and singer/TV personality Adam Levine.
We are a multidisciplinary product design team that operates in a fast-paced, highly ambiguous environment where you will be expected to act with autonomy, push the boundaries of what’s possible while delivering what is achievable and scalable in a lean and agile product environment. You will work with world-class product management and engineering partners and help shape the roadmap of what we build and why. You will use data, customer insights, and domain expertise to articulate clear thinking and drive decision making that addresses customer problems and drives the growth of the company.
You are a passionate advocate for users and customers, who understands the pragmatic tradeoffs required to grow a product. You make smart tradeoffs in your work that balance speed, efficiency, and quality. You are growth-oriented and happiest when you are growing outside your comfort zone. You are resilient, and comfortable with taking risks and celebrating the wins and losses with the team.
- 4+ years experience in a design role supporting digital media or products
- A “t-shaped”, multi-disciplinary designer who can contribute in multiple ways to the success of the team.
- A design “superpower”, deep strengths and expertise in one of the following: interaction design, prototyping, information architecture or visual design for interactive.
- One or more secondary strengths in qualitative user research methods, content strategy, design systems, high-fidelity prototyping, motion design, video, brand development, analytics, or marketing.
- Intense customer focus, passion for design, and building great products
- Experience working with agile methodologies and producing artifacts that keep sprint teams working (flows, wireframes, final mockups)
- Strong capabilities and mature workflows with common design and prototyping tools (e.g., Sketch, InVision, Principle, Flinto, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)
- Experience designing across devices and form factors (desktop, phones, tablets, etc.) and platforms (web, iOS, Android, etc.)
- Experience leading design efforts through all the stages: adept at strategic system-level thinking, but can also thoughtfully design and scrutinize the most intricate design and interaction details
- Organized and self-directed: able to manage time well to meet tight deadlines
- A portfolio demonstrating outstanding user experience design and a hyper-focus on the customer
- Maintain a user-centered design approach as you create both incremental improvements and revolutionary experiences that captivate consumers and define our product vision
- Collaborate closely with user research, product management, and engineering throughout the product lifecycle, utilizing a “Lean UX” methodology: rapid prototyping to test assumptions and using customer feedback to learn and iterate
- Consistently ask questions, identify problems and opportunities, explore an array of inventive solutions, and draw connections between ideas to ensure it all fits into a cohesive overall customer experience
- Deliver design that is coherent, cohesive, and satisfies user needs and goals through: rapid design exercises (sticky notes, whiteboard sketches, etc.), low fidelity artifacts (user flows, interaction models, storyboards, sketches, wireframes, prototypes, etc.) and high fidelity artifacts (prototypes with refined visual design and interactions, pattern creation/documentation, etc.)
- Define a modern and cohesive design system within a digital pattern library that unifies the entire Varsity Tutors product ecosystem