Overview of Position
We are looking for a talented Principal Engineer to help with our ongoing growth and expansion! Varsity Tutors is a live learning platform that connects students and professionals with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. To date, students have accessed more than three million hours of live instruction on the platform. Experts are available to meet in person or through the company’s award-winning online and mobile platforms, which account for the majority of all sessions.
Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. The funds will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
The qualified candidate will be an expert with big data processing and reconciliation. You will partner with software engineering, data science, and product teams to deliver business results in a fast-moving engineering team that is in a critical area for the business. Candidates must be comfortable with pushing through ambiguity and passionate about solving problems across a variety of domains at scale and with speed.
- 10+ years experience with a combination of coding and big data processing
- 5+ years experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Erlang or Scala
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Experience building/scaling Data warehouses, Database, and Platforms
- Experience with efficient processing of large data systems with technologies like big data (Hadoop, etc.) Spark, etc.
- Passionate about Big Data technologies
- Experience working with scalable systems, large-scale data processing, and ETL pipelines
- Experience using data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, or Storm
- Experience with NoSQL databases: Redis, Cassandra, or HBase
- Experience communicating with both technical and business people including executives. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the context.
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Comfortable working with other leaders throughout the organization, not just Engineering, to help move major initiatives forward
- Communicate and operate effectively in a high-visibility role
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team (INDHP)
Varsity Tutors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer! We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. Varsity Tutors will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.