Overview of Position
We are looking for talented Senior Software Engineers to help with our ongoing growth and expansion. Varsity Tutors is a live learning platform that connects students and professionals with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. To date, students have accessed more than three million hours of live instruction on the platform. Tutors are available to meet in person or through the company’s award-winning online and mobile platforms, which account for the majority of all sessions.
Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. The funds will enable Varsity Tutors to foster its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
We're a DevOps shop where we take pride in the quality of our code, our processes, and our services. We have a complete CI/CD software lifecycle and an evolving services oriented architecture hosted in AWS. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, you would not just write code, but you actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and creative solutions. We encourage creativity and finding innovative ways to deploy cutting edge technology and foster a culture of teamwork, experimentation and growth. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
- 5+ years coding experience
- 3+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- 3+ years experience with highly concurrent languages such as GoLang, Erlang or Scala
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to show you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Highly motivated to learn new things
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design (INDHP)
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible hybrid schedule of working from home and in-office
- PTO, Paid Holidays, Floating Holiday (for your birthday!)
- VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members
- Front row seat on a "rocket ship"; once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture.
- An office located right on Pier 56, just south of the Seattle Aquarium and Great Wheel!
Varsity Tutors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer! We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. Varsity Tutors will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.