- Uncommon Goods offers a constantly evolving assortment of original, creative products. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers an assortment of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
- We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
- The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE
At Uncommon Goods, we believe we’re all out of the ordinary. That’s why we’re committed to making diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging part of everything we do. In pursuit of that goal, we’ve made significant changes to our business, from how we find our products to how we build and cultivate our team. Our hope is to be everyone’s favorite place to work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Product Manager of Checkout, you will lead all aspects of the purchase experience on uncommongoods.com and associated functionality, including payments, fraud, post-purchase emails, and our returns portal. You’ll be responsible for identifying challenges and opportunities, driving the product strategy and roadmap for this set of features, and overseeing the team of software developers, designers, and QA analysts that build and support these features. The Product Manager of Checkout will collaborate closely with Marketing, Customer Service, Warehouse Operations, and Finance. Two major initiatives that this role would support this year include ensuring checkout can support our new Uncommon Experiences virtual class offerings and implementing a new cross-border checkout solution for customers shipping outside the U.S.
While we work very collaboratively at Uncommon Goods, you’ll also be given the autonomy to manage your team independently and bring your own ideas to the table. This role will report to the Lead Product Manager for the website.
The Product Manager of Checkout will be a dedicated customer advocate who is passionate about delivering exceptional user experiences. This role requires a strategic leader with the experience to deliver results that add value to both customers and the business. You are a forward thinker with your finger on the pulse of design and technology trends – you know where the industry is headed and will help keep our company at the forefront. You are self-aware, self-motivated, and have the analytical chops to plan, prioritize, manage, and facilitate software solutions for our key business opportunities. Responsibilities include:
- Drive the product strategy and maintain the product roadmap for Checkout and post-purchase functionality; cultivate innovative ideas that drive revenue and/or cost savings
- Lead strategic conversations with company leadership and other departmental stakeholders; summarize work completed and present on results to company leadership
- Build accurate ROI cases for new initiatives and features, including build vs. buy analysis
- Integrate usability studies, user research, competitive analysis, and customer feedback into product strategy
- Work collaboratively with the broader Product Management team to represent your product perspective in resource allocation and other critical decisions
- Evaluate 3rd party software as needed, including contract negotiation and ongoing vendor management
- Work closely with our cross-border partner for international checkout and shipping
- Support the checkout flow for Uncommon Goods’ new initiative, Uncommon Experiences (virtual classes)
- Conduct discovery and sizing sessions with developers, designers, and QA
- Develop hypotheses to be AB tested; identify and monitor success metrics
- Monitor feature performance and make recommendations/updates accordingly
- Write clear and thoughtful user stories; run Agile ceremonies
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years of product management experience, preferably in the e-commerce space
- Experience with online payments, fraud, and other aspects of checkout a plus
- Demonstrated success in launching new features and managing a development team
- Adept at brainstorming and working through technical obstacles with developers such as architectural and database design decisions
- Can manage multiple ongoing streams of work simultaneously
- Have experience setting ambitious goals and measuring success through relevant metrics
- Have experience evaluating 3rd party software solutions, making build vs. buy decisions, and integrating off-the-shelf solutions with home-grown software
- Can create a safe space to effectively give both positive and critical feedback
- Can use influence to drive the development of high quality code on a self-managing team
- Have a diplomatic and data-driven approach to decision-making and stakeholder management while balancing input and needs from multiple internal departments
- Have a good sense of humor and a deep investment in team success
- Demonstrated mastery working within an Agile framework and SCRUM implementation, with JIRA or similar tool to manage team performance
- Experience with Google Analytics or similar web analytics software
- Basic SQL knowledge a plus
- Benefits package includes subsidized medical/dental insurance premiums, generous PTO, paid family leave, and 401(k) with company match.
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products.
- Professional development/educational reimbursement.
- Public transportation and Citi Bike subsidies.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for all team members; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
- We are accepting applicants in the NY/NJ/CT area.
This is currently a fully remote role. Fully vaccinated team members are welcome to work onsite, provided they follow the monthly testing schedule required for all onsite vaccinated team members. The health and safety of our team is of utmost importance. We are continually updating our hybrid work strategy with this in mind. COVID safety protocols: Masks are required for all team members while working onsite; Vaccinated team members must be tested monthly; Unvaccinated team members must be tested weekly.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter