Uncommon Goods offers a constantly evolving assortment of original, creative products. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers a wide variety of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Learn more about our products, B Corp certification, guiding principles, Better to Give program, and team members you might be working with. Listen to the story of Uncommon Goods from our Founder and CEO here and here.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE
At Uncommon Goods, we believe we’re all out of the ordinary. That’s why we’re committed to making diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging part of everything we do. In pursuit of that goal, we’ve made significant changes to our business, from how we find our products to how we build and cultivate our team. Our hope is to be everyone’s favorite place to work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Facilities and Security Departments support all areas of our 203,000 square foot operation which comprises a distribution warehouse and business office spaces across 3 floors in a 100-year-old industrial building in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Our customers are the internal departments, individual team members, and visitors of Uncommon Goods. We strive to maintain a clean and safe work environment to build the best team member experience for everyone. The Director of Building Operations, reporting to the General Manager, is responsible for leading the facilities, housekeeping, and safety functions.
- Lead all aspects of building management, maintenance, and safety of Uncommon Goods facilities, property, and people – employees, vendors, contractors, and visitors.
- Provide timely reports to the General Manager regarding the physical, structural, and safety conditions of all Uncommon Goods facilities and the status of work in progress.
- Supervise departmental team member matters including recruiting, mentoring, and developing; work with all department managers to ensure Facilities and Security are staffed appropriately.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement departmental policies and procedures, goals and objectives, and standards of work for the housekeeping, maintenance, and security departments.
- Coordinate and implement the preventative maintenance program to ensure uninterrupted operation of the entire physical plant. Monitors applications to assure maximum efficiency and provides appropriate documentation of the same.
- Negotiate priorities, plans work schedules and prepares job assignments, orders materials, supplies, and parts. Recommend use of outside specialty contractors as circumstances indicate.
- Accountable for the repair work, alterations, trash removal, remodeling, minor construction, installation, and servicing of mechanical and electrical equipment and building systems.
- Maintain an inventory of parts and supplies to improve the operational readiness of Uncommon Goods.
- Responsible for the selection and coordination of all maintenance service contractors and ensures all contractual provisions are met along with established codes.
- Responsible for developing the annual operating budget, which includes team members, equipment, materials, and supply needs. Continues to manage the budget throughout the year.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
- Works at maintaining a positive, good rapport and a collaborative working relationship with UG team members.
- Responsible for inventory control for all materials and products needed to meet business requirements and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and make sure regulations are in compliance with federal, state, and local ordinances.
- Coordinate safety surveys and inspections, prepare written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventive measures where indicated, and follow up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Leadership Team on the operational needs of UG.
- Point of contact for our landlord and neighbors.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of proven experience in Facilities, Maintenance, Construction or Hospitality Industry as a manager.
- Meaningful work experience that demonstrates a solid understanding of security/safety in both warehouse and office environments.
- OSHA certification, Fire Dept. certificates, and 5s lean six sigma a plus. Familiarity with local building codes, fire codes, and OSHA regulations
- Proactively plan for issues. Develop fast and appropriate solutions for unexpected events. Prioritize and pivot.
- Self-starter. Able to work independently and prioritize competing deadlines.
- Communicate successfully in both verbal and written communications.
- Working experience with plumbing, HVAC, electrical, general carpentry, painting, cleaning, general maintenance, and fundamental comprehension of building systems and mechanical equipment.
- Flexibility is needed, we have extended hours, including weekends; 6-day workweeks are required during November and December
- Physical Requirements: Able to move freely throughout all areas of the company’s premises. Able to lift 40lbs.
- Associates or Bachelors degree a plus.
- The benefits package includes subsidized medical/dental insurance premiums, generous PTO, paid family leave, and 401(k) with company match.
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products.
- Professional development/educational reimbursement.
- Public transportation and Citi Bike subsidies.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all on-site team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
This job is based in Brooklyn, NY. We are only hiring in the Tri-State area.
When applying, please include:
- Cover letter