See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Sr. Manager of the Customer Experience Organization
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to build out our customer experience organization to support the future of Twilio Engage. Today the Customer Experience team is responsible for supporting the user experience across the Twilio Engage product, however we are investing in growing this team and transforming it into an organization that will enable other teams to build applications on top of our platform.
Twilio Engage brings together Segment, SendGrid, and Twilio into a single product, enabling marketers to create omni-channel, hyper-personalized experiences at every step of the customer engagement lifecycle. Twilio Engage is growing rapidly, and we are seeking a Director to lead our Customer Experience Organization. You will have the opportunity to join early on in this transformation to define the strategy for your organization as we transition our product into a platform where many teams can build multiple applications.
Today our product requires scaling a complex front-end while still delivering new rich UI features. The design challenges are meaty, and you’ll be expected to work closely with design and research to iterate on a fast-changing product. As the leader of this organization you will be setting the strategy for future growth while ensuring delivery against your current commitments.
You will need to understand and articulate the trade-offs between new functionality and stability. You will need to persuade all involved to make the right architectural choices for the long term technical and financial health of the product.
In this role, you’ll:
- Set the strategy for your organization. Historically the customer experience team has been responsible for all front end development across the organization, but today we are changing that charter and your organization will be responsible for enabling other teams to own their features end to end. They will do this by creating common components that can guide other teams on how to build applications and owning cross cutting problems that don’t fit well into a single product area.
- Develop new functionality within a young product that is seeing rapid adoption. With the pending launch of Twilio Engage, we need a leader that can guide their team through ambiguity and keep them focused on continuously delivering value to our customers.
- Guide a team of engineers through difficult architectural trade-offs. Due to our rapid growth, it’s critical that you are able to dive deep with your engineering teams into their designs and make sure we are building the right components.
- Partner with product and design to define a long term road map for your teams and partner across the organization to align your efforts with larger Twilio initiatives.
- Mentor new managers on technical and people matters big and small. Your team will be very new, both to management but also to Twilio - it’s your job to guide them and make sure they are set up for success.
- Lead strategic technical initiatives that impact the entire engineering organization. As a senior manager, you will be expected to take on additional responsibilities across the organization. When you see problems or have an idea, we want to empower you to make it happen.
- Rapidly acquire new technical skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, high-delivery environment. There will be a steep learning curve to this job, you should be comfortable diving in the deep end and creating clarity for yourself.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years hands on experience as an engineer writing production-grade code in a modern programming language (language agnostic)
- 2+ years of experience leading teams of full stack engineers.
- Experience driving career growth for early-in-career and senior full stack engineers and managers.
- You are comfortable managing a team with responsibilities across our technology stack, from building intuitive user experiences on the front end, to building GraphQL APIs and defining database schemas on the backend.
- The ability to synthesize all inputs and develop a roadmap balancing product and technical improvements in partnership with product management and design.
- A proven track record of delivering on a team roadmap.
- Strong fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant products.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Strong customer focus, because the feedback loop with customers will be very tight!
- You have a strong understanding of UX patterns and are passionate about building intuitive UIs that customers love.
- You have built frontend components or libraries that have been used by other teams to accelerate their development process and create consistency across a product.
- Experience driving longer term strategy for your teams, well beyond the next quarter.
- Experience managing managers, this role will have multiple teams reporting into you and you will need to develop and grow your managers into future leaders.
- You love partnering with design to create impactful customer experiences and not just implementing designs that are tossed over the fence
- You believe that a customer's experience using your API is just as important as their experience working in your UI. You’ve have a demonstrable history building GraphQL or REST APIs that are easy and intuitive to use.
- You've worked on high-scale web applications and understand the architecture patterns that make them successful (e.g., well-designed APIs, efficient algorithms)
- You are a highly effective collaborator, you work well with your teams and your partners in product and design towards common goals
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
No mandatory travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $176,080 - $220,100 .
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.