See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Director of Engineering - Operational Databases.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to lead the Operational Databases team, a key component of Twilio’s overall Infrastructure Organization. We develop software that enables Product Engineering teams to make intelligent and efficient use of high-performance operational data stores such as DynamoDB, CockroachDB, MySQL and others.
Twilio is looking for a deeply technical and results oriented and empathetic Director of Engineering to lead a fast-growing engineering team. We are looking for a dynamic leader who has a strong track record of growing, developing, and leading teams, is technical and highly product-oriented. This person constantly thinks about execution, technical and product strategy, and how to develop engineering leadership talent. This key leadership role will partner with product, design, operations and across Twilio to drive solutions to our most challenging problems in the area of operational data infrastructure. This role involves direct management of a team of senior engineers and leaders, encouraging a high-performing engineering team while meaningfully growing the team in 2022 and beyond.
You must possess a great balance between product and technical know-how, and have the execution skills to turn your ideas into reality. You have validated experience crafting a work environment that both attracts and retains top talent that has delivered great business outcomes in a distributed setting.
You are a leader that believes deeply in building inclusive and anti-racist environments, allowing employees from all backgrounds to contribute, grow, and prosper. You must believe that a diverse team, from the top down, allows all employees to achieve their full potential and as a result will allow Twilio to reach our goals, collectively.
In this role, you’ll:
- Rapidly scale the team, through the recruitment and development of top engineering talent
- Help Twilio define a company-wide operational data strategy and play a key role in its delivery
- Work with the team to shape a roadmap to deliver on this strategy
- Lead and prioritize the product lifecycle/engineering schedule (operations, release, development, support) for our portfolio of products
- Work with partner teams to prioritize and deliver critical features in a timely and Agile fashion.
- Collaborate effectively with Engineering, Product, and other business leaders at Twilio
- Partner cross functionally to ensure the roadmap fulfills internal customer requirements
- Balance the creation of new functionality for current and future customer needs, infrastructure management and the elimination of technical debt
- Empower your teams towards innovation and customer success
- Ensure key partners understand the needs of development teams
- Ensure the engineering team understands the business direction and how each individual engineer’s work contributes towards the big picture of the product line and company offerings
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- You have 12+ years of experience as a software engineering leader, preferably on teams which have built and operated critical SaaS products
- You have a track record of designing and building large-scale, cloud-based, highly available data infrastructure platforms in a high growth environment.
- Proven track record of building and growing teams running data infrastructure reliably at scale
- Deep understanding of the different requirements, approaches and architectures between data infrastructure and business middleware development
- Proven change and transformation leadership
- Assessed and developed talent to ensure the success of the roadmap and customers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Continual assessment, refinement, maturation, implementation, and upholding of engineering standards and best practices
- Demonstrated experience leading managers
This role will be remote in the US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $240,000 - $293,100
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.