See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Director of Engineering.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to l ead, manage and grow teams within our Billing Platform. This platform is central to Twilio’s core business and is responsible for services to process all billing events and provides financial services for the company. The Billing Platform organization works toward building a platform for the future which hides the complexity that comes from complex distributed financial systems.
The successful candidate will need tremendous technical depth and managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and scale we’re currently operating at. This role will lead multiple teams and initiatives to help us continue to evolve the platform.
In this role, you’ll:
- Use your strong engineering background to lead, mentor, scale and grow scalable distributed systems engineering teams. Leverage your deep technical background building, scalable systems software from your prior experience and passionately bring about positive change in architecture, efficient engineering execution, and delivering operational excellence.
- Leverage your strong analytical and quantitative background and drive data driven decisions. You will understand, and come up with what makes good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them. You will focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and take pride in delivery.
- Use your genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into nuts-and-bolts of how things work. Ensure successful definition, architecture, design, implementation and timely delivery of the software platform.
- Operate effectively in a fast paced environment. Define structure, processes, and improve the maturity of engineering execution.
- Care deeply about creating teams that model psychological safety and inclusivity, where engineers can do their best work. Foster an inclusive environment, where all points of view are welcomed and encouraged.
- Leverage your excellent communication and written skills to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact in communicating with stakeholders at all levels.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experienced engineering leader with a track record of leading scalable distributed systems engineering in software companies. Strong technical background and experience building, scalable systems software. Passionate about architecture, efficient engineering execution, and delivering operational excellence.
- Have 10+ years of experience in engineering, at least 7 years of management experience and 2+ years of managing managers.
- Experienced leader with a strong analytical and quantitative background. Highly data driven in decision making and understand what makes good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them. Focussed on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and takes pride in delivery.
- Experience working with partners at all levels - be able to dive into nuts-and-bolts of how things work as needed. Experience working on production software - ensures successful definition, architecture, design, implementation and timely delivery of the software platform.
- Experience operating in a fast paced environment. Be able to define structure, processes, and improve the maturity of engineering execution.
- Experience fostering an inclusive environment, where all points of view are welcomed and encouraged.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent. You are able to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact.
- Have a BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science.
This role will be based in our Dublin, Ireland office.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.