Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to be a part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate services that continuously improve our ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging technologies that include AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs, Apache Kafka, Rest APIs, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.
Twilio is looking for an experienced Software Engineer who lives Twilio Magic and is excited to take on complex engineering challenges on evolving our billing platform into the next generation that will accommodate the Twilio growth for the next 5 years.
From you as a candidate, we expect:
- Collaboration and communication: You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Scalable distributed systems: You have experience working on resilient and horizontally-scalable distributed systems.
- Scala/Java. Our systems are in Scala and we are building the new systems in Java. You are proficient in writing well structured clean code in Scala or Java.
- Testing. You take care of designing and implementing systems that are easy to test and evolve.
- Databases. You have experience bothSQL and NoSQL technologies and are able to choose the right tool for the job.
- Cloud. You have worked on systems deployed on the cloud and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
As a Software Engineer, you will you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
The Billing Platform is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with the leadership, product teams, GTM and G&A to support Twilio’s existing business, new products and acquisitions. The success of Twilio is dependent on the success of the Billing Platform and its ability to provide scalable, reliable, intuitive experiences for our internal stakeholders and external customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office in Dublin or if you live in another city in Ireland, you can work from there too. Considering the world’s current circumstances you will start from your home office in Ireland.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.