Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio‘s Messaging platform enables companies to integrate omnichannel communications into their applications via easy to use APIs. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager, who is passionate about building the best teams and shipping quality products, to join our Messaging team in the Tallinn, Estonia.
You will be leading and growing teams that are building services that are the core backend for the Twilio flagship products like Programmable SMS, Twilio API for WhatsApp, and others. You will have an opportunity to run a development team delivering a highly-available, globally-distributed, and resilient backend for Twilio’s Programmable Messaging Platform.
Twilio is looking for an experienced leader who lives the Twilio Magic, comes with product thinking and customer focus eager to bring our cloud-hosted Software-as-a-Service API products to new heights, and demonstrates an equitable approach to building engineering teams. You also have:
- A track record of leading engineering teams in software companies and coordinating initiatives across boundaries.
- Ability to represent your customers’ perspectives. You plan for how they will be impacted by the new features you add to the Messaging Platform, and you always work to enable their success.
- A solid engineering background and possess hands-on knowledge with deploying, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale services in production.
- A passion for operational excellence and have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it.
- Familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- Strong ability to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- EMPOWER OTHERS & BE INCLUSIVE: Nurture your team. Hire great people, provide coaching, mentorship, manage their performance and career development. Show the way, lead by example.
- BE AN OWNER & WRITE IT DOWN: Collaborate with Tech Leads, Product Managers and Architects: you will work on requirements, execution plans, define and track measurable goals for the team, and help guide our product roadmap.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Ship great products. Release, deploy and maintain world-class software in accordance with Twilio's engineering practices.
- DON'T SETTLE: Invest in operational maturity. Build trust and reliability in your products, review performance against service level objectives, address incidents, and prioritize improvements.
In this role, you will work with top engineering and product talent. We are employing a flurry of cloud technologies offered by AWS, as well as by our own platform. EC2, S3, DynamoDB, Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Redis, SQL, Kinesis, SQS, Kafka - practically everything on the menu. The vast majority of our backend code is written in Java.
The services and APIs developed by the Messaging team are used by thousands of customers in production, both internal and external to Twilio. Our customers expect our services to scale up to their continuously increasing demands in traffic volume while trusting us to provide the service according to the highest availability and quality standards. In this position, You will have an opportunity to challenge yourself and the team to meet those customer expectations through building scalable and robust services from the world-class company to world-class customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.