Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio‘s Programmable Video platform enables developers to add immersive real-time media experiences to their applications via easy-to-use APIs. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager who is passionate about building high-performing teams and highly scalable systems to join the video signaling infrastructure team in the US.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager you will lead the team in building and operating the next generation Internet-scale control plane for the Programmable Video product suite.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has led the development and operations of complex large-scale distributed systems. You will have:
- 7+ years of experience in engineering with 3+ years of hands-on experience leading and managing teams of 5-10 people.
- You are a strategic problem solver and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services.
- You have a strong hands-on distributed systems background and have operated services directly at some point in your career.
- You have demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You have experience leading and managing distributed teams.
- Experience managing SCRUM teams with agile principles, embracing uncertainty, continuous improvement, and predictable delivery.
- You love to make an impact and thrive in collaborative, energetic teams.
- Plus: Experience developing products on AWS.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: We are seeking a leader who has solved complex problems and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- BE AN OWNER: Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain world-class on-call incident response processes for the team.
- DON'T SETTLE: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Stay up-to-date with industry developments and challenge the team to adopt leading modern technologies, approaches, and best practices.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Write performance evaluations, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Own, operate and maintain your team's products. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
In this role, you will work with top engineering and product talent. We are employing a flurry of cloud technologies offered by AWS, as well as by our own platform. EC2, S3, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Kafka - practically everything on the menu. The vast majority of our backend code is written in Java.
Twilio’s Programmable Video platform allows developers to build unique real-time media experiences for their users on a global scale. The video signaling infrastructure team builds and maintains the control plane that orchestrates these interactions.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our San Francisco office . Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.