Software Engineer, Data Storage and Compute
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio's Data Platform org is looking for Software Engineers to join our Storage and Compute team. The team manages Twilio’s GDPR compliant data lake at PB scale and runs Twilio’s complex data pipelines. To achieve this, we leverage technologies that include AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs, open source projects like Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Apache Hudi etc., Rest APIs and also build our own services or contribute to open source projects. This data lake is an integral part of some of Twilio’s core products and also enables business teams to do analytics and make well informed data driven decisions.
We’re looking for a software engineer to help us scale and build Twilio’s next gen Data Backbone providing a rock-solid end to end data pipeline on our data infrastructure and shape the ecosystem of how Twilio thinks about data engineering at large. They should live the Twilio Magic and also have :
- Experience developing globally distributed systems
- 4+ years experience in Java or Scala, Python familiarity is also useful
- Understanding and experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Understanding of AWS (or similar) cloud infrastructure to own and operate production services
- Strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Bonus : Experience building data platforms and data pipelines
- Bonus : Committer or Contributor to open source projects such as Apache Spark, Hudi, Kafka, Hive, Presto etc.
As a Software Engineer, you will design, implement and operate services that will process hundreds of million records daily. You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, You will be expected to write down the requirements, design, implementation, etc.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with other teams and work cross-functionally for product launches.
Twilio’s Data Platform processes billions of records per day and operates at the petabyte scale. Our engineers deal with a wide variety of data technologies, distributed systems, and design considerations to provide data as a platform to the rest of Twilio Engineering.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.