Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Global Employee Relations, who will manage a critical component for our team collaborating with Employment Counsel, HR Business Partners and Leadership to create an inclusive, safe and productive workspace for all Twilions. You will be focused on the proactive (education and prevention) and reactive (conflict management and investigations) elements of this role. You will be responsible for providing expert level consultation, guidance and support in all matters related to employee relations. These matters include management coaching and training; employee complaint review and investigations; policy development and interpretation; disability and leave accommodations. Prioritization and balancing time between projects and timely-response is a critical component for success in the position. Reporting into the Head of People Ops, this is a working leader manager role that will help us build a Global Employee Relations COE as the company scales.
Twilio is looking for a leader with deep and broad expert level knowledge and expertise in employee relations. We seek someone with:
- 12+ years of employee relations, employment legal, investigations, or HR experience, 5 years of which is leading high-performing global ER teams within a high-growth environment at progressive companies. A J.D. and experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department experience a plus!
- Experience independently conducting expert-level investigations of misconduct, including violations of law and company policy, and leading a team of investigators.
- Ability to demonstrate consultation and influencing skills at all levels and experience with high-level collaboration and teamwork
- Ability to perform as a trusted advisor and to build partnerships at all levels
- Experience creating and delivering impactful solutions and training focused on how to handle employee relations issues, investigations, reorgs and performance management.
- Previous experience working with legal counsel to develop and comply with HR policies and procedures as well as federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Deep experience drafting, reviewing, and advising on Performance Improvement Plans
- Working experience in preparing and reviewing proposals for organizational restructuring
- Equipped with great judgment, tact, discretion, and professionalism, especially when it comes to confidential documents and communications
- Deep understanding of and ability to be impartial, exhibit extreme fairness and assess each situation through this lens. Excellent judgment and a high bar for integrity
As a the Director of Employee Relations, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: You are a passionate, hands-on leader who has built highly productive, diverse, and engaged teams that scale with a growing organization. Work cross-functionally to bring deep subject matter expertise to people processes and build a roadmap for ER programs and policies. Possess mastery functional expertise across the majority (if not all) areas of ER, including Investigations, Policy creation, Documentation Standards, Employment Laws, and has experience building and maintaining a strong partnership with Employment Law.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Ability to articulate the vision of the team and set the action plan to make it reality. Serve as the primary investigator of employee complaints, including allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment and/or hostile work environment. Ability to set a high bar to build and lead a best in class Employee Relations team.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Review and advise on proposed changes to the company’s organizational structure. Be a resource for various organizations within and outside the People Team for advice and coaching on complicated personnel-related matters. Ability to think critically and anticipate issues before they arise, and proactively suggest long-term solutions to a variety of stakeholders, including HRBPs, legal, business leaders. Use data to identify employee relations trends and to diagnose organizational effectiveness and proactively develop the training and process improvements for prevention.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Identify trends and create proactive roadmap and training to mitigate risk throughout the organization. Develops globally consistent standards and protocols for investigations, performance management and reorganizations to enable fair, equitable systems, policies, and practices.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Guide and drive strategies to resolve difficult and/or sensitive workplace matters. You are passionate about using forums to educate and ensure consistency across the ER org.
The Employee Relations team is central to Twilio's continued growth and engagement of our talent. Your unique skill set and experiences are critical to help support the culture of inclusion and trust we have cultivated.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Denver office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado.
Tier 4 base salary range: $146,240.00 to $201,080.00
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: $137,100.00 to $171,375.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks