Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s Privacy team is growing rapidly and we’re looking for a Privacy Counsel to join our team of privacy attorneys and support our global privacy strategy. As Privacy Counsel, you will: provide expert legal analysis on global privacy regimes, research emerging areas of privacy law, evaluate and mitigate risks as Twilio expands to new markets and verticals, provide subject matter expertise to internal business partners, identify gaps in new legal requirements, and assist internal business partners in remedying those gaps.
Reporting to the Senior Privacy Counsel based in San Francisco, this position is a critical part of Twilio’s Privacy team as we grow and face new challenges.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter who believes in the importance of data privacy principles while appreciating the complexities of putting those principles into practice. We’re looking for someone who lives the Twilio Magic, and who has a proven track record of collaborating and communicating well with other teams. Our Privacy team always strives to do what’s right, not just to check the boxes on compliance, and we want you to join us in our work.
In particular, we’re looking for:
- An attorney, licensed to practice law and in good standing with your local bar.
- 5+ years of legal experience in privacy / data protection. In-house experience is a major plus.
- Functional knowledge of common privacy regulatory frameworks (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy, HIPAA, TCPA, and FTC guidelines, etc.). Knowledge of LGPD, APPI, PIPEDA, and other major international privacy regimes is a major plus.
- A curious, quick learner, with excellent organizational skills, effective communication skills, and a strong sense of initiative and drive to improve.
- Experience working with technical organizations or software developers to implement privacy early in the product lifecycle is a plus.
- Experience with employment privacy issues and concepts (preferably with international experiences), including laws respecting handling employee data in different countries, notice requirements, and monitoring laws, is a major plus.
- Experience responding to data breach situations or managing data breach notifications is a plus.
- Experience with advising a business on navigating the rapidly-evolving global privacy law landscape is a plus.
- A certification such as CIPP/US, CIPP/E, or CIPP/A is a plus, but not a requirement.
As Privacy Counsel, you’ll work as part of a robust privacy legal and operations team. Generally speaking, this role is responsible for living the Twilio Magic values in many ways:
- BE AN OWNER: Providing subject matter expertise on data protection and data security to internal business partners, including our Employment, Marketing, People, Product, R&D, Security, and Technology teams;
- EMPOWER OTHERS and WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Collaborating with internal business teams on long-term data protection projects to guide their implementation of privacy controls;
- EMPOWER OTHERS and WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Advising business teams on day to day questions about data protection obligations and commitments, and communicating clearly and efficiently to business teams about privacy concerns;
- BE INCLUSIVE: Providing expert legal analysis and guidance on domestic and global privacy regimes, including emerging areas of privacy law, cross-border data transfers, and application of data protection requirements to all products and services;
- DON’T SETTLE: Assessing the risk of complying with emerging changes in privacy law and balancing the goals of growth and scaling with the risk to our data protection requirements;
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Evaluating and mitigating risks as Twilio expands to new markets and verticals, and assist internal business partners in remedying those gaps;
- EMPOWER OTHERS and WRITE IT DOWN: Architecting scalable processes and enablement tools to empower teams to efficiently implement privacy as Twilio grows;
- BE BOLD and DRAW THE OWL: Developing new policy documents and scalable processes in response to changes in legal requirements;
- NO SHENANIGANS: Coordinating with and advising the Twilio Security Incident Response Team in the event of an incident that requires the involvement of the Privacy Team.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is intended to be remote, but may also be located in one of our US based offices (based on candidate location - relocation assistance not available for this role). We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where in the world you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,915- $182,758
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,300- $159,913
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks