Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s Privacy team is growing rapidly and is seeking a Privacy Counsel to join our team of privacy attorneys to help support our growing demand in the area of global third party engagements and transactions. As a Privacy Counsel you will be responsible for partnering with our worldwide commercial and procurement teams, as well as other stakeholders, to understand, structure, draft, and negotiate data protection agreements with external partners and continue to build upon the Twilio privacy brand.
Twilio is looking for an experienced Privacy Counsel who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of negotiating privacy agreements within a fast-paced global technology company. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, looks for opportunities to scale and improve processes to improve efficiency and client service, and is passionate about privacy and data protection. This job is for you if you believe in the importance of data privacy, are always thinking about better ways of doing things, and thrive in the challenge of being a key player in a complex, global and fast-paced environment.
- Qualified to practice law in a common law jurisdiction, and in good standing with your local bar.
- 5+ years of experience in data protection/privacy law ideally in the tech or communications sectors, a mix of law firm and in-house experience is a plus; at least one CIPP certification is preferred.
- Substantial experience negotiating data protection terms of technology and commercial agreements with customers, partners and vendors, including leading negotiations and discussions with critical suppliers.
- Experience negotiating global privacy laws, such as the GDPR, PIPEDA, LGPD, CCPA, APPI, Personal Data Privacy Ordinance, Data Protection Act; experience negotiating sector specific laws, such as HIPAA and GLBA, is desirable.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, quick learner with a strong work ethic, sense of initiative, and a good sense of humor.
- Experience training internal teams on data protection requirements, as appropriate.
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy and dynamic workflow in alignment with enterprise and privacy team priorities, and setting appropriate expectations with internal clients while delivering results efficiently.
- English language fluency (spoken and written) is necessary; a second language of the region is an advantage, but not necessary.
- Works effectively as a proactive member of a global team.
As Privacy Counsel, You Will:
- BE AN OWNER: Coordinate with a global team of privacy attorneys and professionals to scale processes to improve.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of Twilio’s business needs and internal customers when providing guidance, striving to find workable solutions.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Ensure you are prioritizing your workloads appropriately in service of the overall company strategy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Consciously foster an inclusive environment in which all voices, opinions and perspectives are respected and listened to.
- BE BOLD: Always look for new and innovative ways to improve and uplevel our privacy program, as well as the quality of client service your team delivers.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is intended to be remote, but may also be located in one of our US based offices (based on candidate location - relocation assistance not available for this role). We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where in the world you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,915- $182,758
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,300- $159,913
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks