Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing fast and looking for a Principal Engineer to join our globally distributed Flex R&D organization on our Flex Bootstrap team in Tallinn, Estonia.
Flex is Twilio’s flagship contact center solution and is a unique product that provides our customers with the building blocks they need to meet their needs. For any modern SaaS product to have a smooth onboarding experience it is critical that the first steps during setup run without any hiccups and any later administrative tasks are living up to the same standard. We are proud of Flex features and when we manage to create the living and breathing ecosystem around it, there will be no limit!
We are looking for a motivated individual to lead and complement our engineering designs and visions in Tallinn as well as contribute to the future architecture of Flex.
Twilio is looking for a principal engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of excellent skill. They also have:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- ‘Speaks’ multiple languages, among others Java, TypeScript, Go and can easily navigate different frameworks
- Has experience with different data stores and pipelines (MySQL, DynamoDB and Kafka should be familiar)
- Proficient in multiple domains, expert at least in one (backend or operations)
- Experience with AWS is a plus
- Isn’t afraid to deep dive into root cause analysis across complex systems and dependencies including on services owned by other teams across time zones.
- Able to create complex technical designs that align the overall architectural vision, isn’t afraid to give input and influence said vision
- Champion of good engineering habits: development techniques, security, tech debt balance, agile processes, etc
- Strong communication skills: In person, on paper, or in code, you can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support. Can be described as an active listener
- Passion for quality code and building things
As a Principal Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work with Product Managers, other engineering teams and architects to distill internal and customer needs into well working services
- DRAW THE OWL: Set and lead technical vision without having all of the answers
- BE AN OWNER: Architect new systems with a focus on interoperability, scalability, testability, and maintainability
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive high engineering standards on the team through code review, automated testing, and mentoring. We care what our code looks like, and you should too
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with colleagues on a small, energetic team
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
With the launch of Flex, Twilio introduces a new type of platform for applications which has the potential to disrupt traditional monolithic application vendors in the same way API platforms disrupted traditional infrastructure services for communications.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances you will start from your home office.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.