Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Backend Software Engineer to be a key member of the Platform Engineering Team in Tallinn, Estonia. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, can mentor junior engineers and build beautiful, reactive user interfaces.
Twilio is looking for a strong technical Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of shipping high-quality software. They also have:
- Experience developing highly-available web applications or distributed systems in Scala/Java, Python or Go
- You have a very strong understanding of REST APIs.
- Hands-on experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and caches
- Expertise in configuration management for deploying, configuring, and managing servers and systems
- You know that the code you ship is only as dependable and predictable as the tests you write.
- You bring experience with build patterns common to web technology stacks, you love shipping amazing products with a strong focus on the user experience.
- You communicate well in person, on paper, and in code. You love to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative environments.
- Experience developing products on AWS or Google Cloud Services.
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Experience in Devops is a plus.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be working alongside a small but collaborative team that builds APIs, web services, and tools that maximize the throughput of Twilio’s product teams. You will create and maintain tools that gather and analyze data from every service in Twilio and will provide interfaces so that all engineers in Twilio can customize how your tools are used. You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: You need to design and implement solutions for the Twilio platform that has high demand for resilience and scalability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You are challenged to find best observability tools and services for the growing Twilio engineering community.
- WRITE IT DOWN: You need to document the architecture diagrams and guidelines for other engineering teams.
- BE AN OWNER: You are co owner for the whole software development lifecycle.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Spend the time to deeply understand customers, and solve problems from their perspective. Earn trust through every interaction.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Platform Engineering Team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Our mission is to provide every engineer at Twilio with the DevOps APIs and tools that they need to successfully build fast, reliable and ship quality features on top of our platform. Engineering in Platform means understanding the demands of Twilio’s entire R&D team; engineering our services beyond the scaling and performance challenges we face; driving Twilio to new heights of scale.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances it will start from your home office.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture to empower everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.