Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s legal team is growing rapidly and is seeking a Director, Managing Counsel, Privacy to lead our growing team of privacy attorneys, help mature our privacy program and support our global privacy strategy. Our privacy attorneys, under your leadership, will be responsible for partnering with our Privacy Governance team and the broader enterprise to guide the organization in understanding its global privacy risks and how to mitigate those risks and comply with its global privacy obligations. You will be expected to help the organization look around corners in order to anticipate potential future privacy challenges and get out ahead of them.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading and developing a team of privacy attorneys within a fast-paced global technology company. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, looks for opportunities to scale and improve processes to improve efficiency and client service, and prides him/herself on offering practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers. This job is for you if you believe in the importance of data privacy, but understand the practical obstacles of implementing those principles in a complex, global and fast-paced environment, have experience working cross-functionally to overcome those obstacles, and enjoy the challenge of it all. You also have:
- A licensed to practice law, and in good standing with your local bar.
- 10+ years of legal experience, at least five of which should be in an in-house environment with significant privacy focus during this time; at least one CIPP certification is strongly preferred.
- Experience counseling both product and non-product business units regarding global privacy law and obligations. Experience counseling organizations in relation to communications privacy laws, such as ePrivacy, ECPA, CIPA, and global anti-spam laws, as well as sector specific laws, such as HIPAA and GLBA, is highly desirable, as is experience counseling teams developing AI/ML products and services.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, effective communication skills, quick learner, and a strong sense of initiative.
- Experience managing and developing other attorneys and leading a team, with the ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” being both able to provide practical privacy legal counsel and manage/mentor a team of attorneys.
- Experience serving as the privacy subject matter expert during M&A due diligence and integration.
- Experience negotiating data protection addenda with customers and vendors, and generating sales enablement materials in relation to privacy.
- Experience conducting or supporting data protection impact assessments or privacy impact assessments and managing data breach situations and/or notifications.
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow in alignment with enterprise and privacy team priorities, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
As Director, Managing Counsel, Privacy, you will:
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and mentor an existing team of privacy attorneys. Scale processes to improve your team’s interlock with the privacy governance team and engagement model with your legal team colleagues and the broader Twilio enterprise. Monitor and analyze developments in privacy regulations or other privacy-related issues applicable to our enterprise and company strategy, and advise internal teams as necessary.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of Twilio’s customers and of our Twilio colleagues when providing guidance, striving to find workable solutions. Synthesize input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders to provide practical operationalizable guidance. Develop sales enablement, as well as internal guidance, materials to ensure our teams and our customers have ready access to the privacy-related information and guidance they need when they need it.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Guide your team of privacy attorneys in ensuring they are prioritizing their workloads appropriately in service of the overall company strategy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Consciously foster an inclusive environment in which all voices, opinions and perspectives are respected and listened to.
- BE BOLD: Always look for new and innovative ways to improve and uplevel our privacy program, as well as the quality of client service your team delivers.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado.
Tier 4 base salary range: $177,024- $243,408
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: $165,960- $207,450
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks