Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is more than just an API - it’s a communications platform that empowers developers and brands to build the world’s most innovative consumer engagement solutions. With customers in every industry like retail, finance, transportation, and hospitality, Twilio messaging is changing how every company talks to their customers.
Twilio is looking for a VP of engineering for its flagship messaging product who lives the Twilio Magic and has demonstrated the ability to:
- Partner with the senior executive team, product leaders and sales management to build, scale and continuously innovate messaging products
- Lead and grow a world class engineering team in the US, Estonia, Sweden and Columbia
- Be a leader of a critical part of Twilio’s senior engineering team and contribute to Twilio’s overall engineering platform strategy
- Organize and coordinate engineering processes and cross-team engineering efforts between the messaging team and the rest of the company
- Coach teams daily to operate effectively in a multi team environment. Lead through direct reports to drive the teams to set and complete key objectives.
- Guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver resilient, highly-available and scalable services
- You have 15+ years of hands on engineering management experience, preferably delivering a highly scalable service with billions of daily transactions (ad systems, billing systems, communications systems, etc.)
- Experience managing and growing teams of 200+ people across geos
- Consistent track record of balancing long-term critical thinking with tactical execution of multiple development plans.
- High-growth technology company experience, ideally in a platform company that has scaled to hundreds of millions of users
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications.
- Ability to think critically and objectively; excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands.
- Thorough, great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity.
- Ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans.
- Excellent communication and social skills, ability to be personable yet persistent.
- Proven track record of meeting business targets.
- Experience in building and launching sophisticated platforms at scale.
- Extensive experience providing product direction to meet customer needs.
Twilio’s innovative SaaS and Connectivity products are redefining how businesses and customers communicate with each other. With customers in every industry, Twilio’s products are changing the way B2C and B2B companies interact with and manage customer relationships. Reporting to the SVP and GM of Messaging, this executive leadership role is unique as it allows you to work on a product line that is over a billion USD in revenues and still growing over 50% YoY.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks