Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
The Twilio A.I. team is seeking a (Sr) Product Director to own the product management and strategy for Twilio's A.I. product lines. The person in this role will be critical in delivering a product which enables our customers to understand the meaning of every customer interaction they have, and drive automation flows based on the content of what their customers are saying.
Reporting to the VP GM A.I., you will lead and grow a team of product managers who are building an industry-leading platform to transcribe, categorize and extract meaning from conversational data. You will be responsible for every aspect of product management for the team from the underlying data, to the machine learning, to the user interfaces. You will be taking this product from inception to scale. You will be responsible for establishing and managing relationships with F500 design partners, as well as representing the voice of the customer and product in C-level leadership strategy conversations.
- You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble, and have a high EQ.
- You understand that product differentiation must be built into the heart of product strategy. You enjoy creating things where there is no playbook to look at, no prior art to copy.
- You build product by thinking strategically for the long term, set the vision for where we want to get to, and then map the path to get there
- You have experience managing product managers for 4-5 years, ideally on a technically complex B2B or B2D cloud product. You have experience managing a remote and diverse international team, and collaborating with engineering across multiple time zones.
- You are a great communicator. Whether it's on stage to inspire people in your vision, in a meeting with C-level customer execs, or in writing explaining strategy and technical details. You understand the power of great communication, and strive to always be improving at it. You also use those skills to be a connector - you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations.
- You have experience working with a top tier engineering team, and understand how to feed in customer-informed guidance and prioritization while leaving space and autonomy on the 'how'.
- You are strong technically and can converse credibly with talented engineers. Ideally you have hands-on experience shipping customer-facing apps with heavy ML and data components. However we will consider applicants without direct experience in ML but who are very strong technically, if you are outstanding in other areas.
- You build process where it's needed. You know how to cut through bureaucracy when it's inefficient, but also how to create structure when it's needed.
- You’re able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team, and are highly organized..
- Bonus: You have a CS background and an MBA. You have experience with contact center industry.
- DON’T SETTLE: Keep your product managers connected with other product teams across the company for multiple strategic initiatives. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to predictably deliver customer value. Foster a culture that encourages individual decision-making and innovation. Inclusive communication will also be critical to maintaining alignment and our culture across our global locations.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Collaborate on roadmaps with product and engineering leaders across San Francisco, Colombia, Prague, Denver, Madrid, and London to ensure the team has clear direction (the ‘why!’) and priorities rooted in customer data.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Inspire your teams and manage their career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior members while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Be hands-on with the team - both product and engineering. You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in cloud-based infrastructure design and operations to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice, based on customer use cases.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Institute product management best practices - ensure the team produces high quality customer research, understands and communicates the problem, and documents the solution (UX, APIs docs, blueprints) and GTM strategy (including pricing).
- BE AN OWNER: Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to build up the next generation of leaders.
- Travel required - up to 25% of the time post-COVID
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Customer conversations are one of the most informative indicators of a product and business’ health. They cover every time a customer was delighted, frustrated, buying more, closing their account, needing help, etc. But usually those conversations are trapped away in a black box, analyzed only by listening to them one by one, or with basic keyword search capabilities.
The Twilio AI team is building a platform that uses machine learning to transcribe, categorise, and extract meaning out of customer conversations so companies can evaluate every one of them and build workflows that automate actions, like prioritizing high value leads to follow up on or identifying customers likely to churn. Our goal is to help companies power more effective business processes and better customer engagement, by understanding the meaning in every conversation.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We are a team that believes in remote working and remote-friendly practices, and we are distributed across three continents. This position can be located in either the US or EU, either remote or (post-COVID) in one of Twilio's offices . What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.