Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. You would build and grow the Pricing Platform organization to augment Twilio’s Billing Platform. As Billing Platform focuses on delivering the mission of becoming a trusted platform enabling Twilio’s revenue growth, we will need a pricing platform that enables experimentation and self-service management of static and dynamic pricing models, packaging and bundling. Our vision is to create a pricing platform which accommodates the globally and localized needs of all Twilio product pricing, packaging and bundling.
Twilio is looking for an engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and is excited to take on complex engineering challenges in the fast-growing business of communications.
From you as a candidate, we expect:
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Databases. You have experience with multiple storage technologies and can reason about how to choose the suitable storage technology for a given purpose.
- Testing/Operations. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Technical Lead. You are strong technically and can lead a group of engineers to finish a task or a project. You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. Provide technical guidance and mentorship for junior engineers and help them grow.
- Experience. 7+ years experience as a SWE focused on distributed systems, performance, managing large scale infrastructure programs. Experience in Java, Python, Scala or at least one framework in which you can be called an expert. Ability to design and manage CI / CD pipelines (Jenkins, Buildkite etc.).
- Degree. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
As a Staff software engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL & DON’T SETTLE: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go. Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and cross teams to ensure the organization has clear direction and priorities related to performance metrics that track business performance.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Own, operate, design, implement and maintain Pricing Strategy services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, You will be expected to write down the requirements, design, implementation, etc.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Billing and Customer life cycle teams based in Denver, Mountain view, San Francisco and Dublin (Ireland), of course, rest of the Twilio engineering globally. You will empower the team to take calculated risks to develop products and help them achieve operational excellence.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Deliver detailed technical engineering plans and architecture for a pricing platform to globally and locally support static and dynamic pricing that is self-service for Sales and Product teams. Also work with the developers to understand their pain points and help the team prioritize the backlog accordingly.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our San Francisco, Mountain View, or Denver office.. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.