Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal, Network Engineer to be an integral part of the Super Network team. The Network Engineering team within Super Network is the engineering unit with a focus on telecom engineering and scaling the network. It’s imperative that you love data centers, telecom and interconnections. Principal Network Engineer will design and Architect global points of presence that enable network connectivity to carriers and customers. This will require experience in building and operating carrier grade production networks for security, scalability and reliability.
Twilio is looking for a team player who lives the Twilio Magic and has a strong passion for designing, building and scaling networks. They also have:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related engineering field. A Master of Science or higher degree is preferred.
- 10+ years of network engineering/architecture and relevant technology experience.
- Advanced experience of networking stack (routing, switching and optical networking), including key protocols & standards(e.g. TCP/IP, BGP, IGP, MPLS), Linux networking and open-source solutions.
- Advanced hand-on experience in hardware for datacenter, network(core, edge, telecommunication), solid understanding of vendor ecosystems and implementation best practices.
- Advanced experience with service provider networks, including work on session border controllers (SIP, RTP, RTCP), SMS Gateways (SS7, SMPP) and related telephony protocols/standards.
- Strong understanding of best practices for running a Telecommunications network and understanding of open networking trends and innovations, including next-generation network hardware, software and platform architectures.
- Experience developing networking features and capabilities for large-scale Telecom infrastructures including network engineering, NetDevOps, tooling/API development, open-source contributions, etc.
- Have the technical ability to understand network automation via software and recognise areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, engage with product managers, and write down ideas/requirements/specifications for network tooling.
- Experience in scripting/programming/software development for network automation in one or more high-level programming languages (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc) is a plus.
- Effectively communicates up to C-Level at advanced level using supporting data.
- Passionate and creative. You find clever ways around problems, or just plow through them. Sharp analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Thorough, organised, and process-oriented to the extreme. You’re an expert at prioritising and executing multiple projects simultaneously with proven experience project managing large cross-team projects.
- Technically savvy and experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility is a plus.
- You really enjoy playing with new telecommunications tech.
- Ability to work independently and with remote teams.
As a Principal, Network Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Create and maintain accurate and easy to follow internal documentation of new and existing processes, network and related tooling. Create requirements for tooling and process improvements.
- DON’T SETTLE: Identify opportunities to automate and streamline operational processes further and work with software engineers to define the tools necessary to do this.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Act as an escalation point for our NOC and Production Engineering teams for complex network/quality issues.
- DRAW THE OWL: Design, Architect, Build the network, connectivity and service to provide quality of service to Twilio products.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Work on cross-team projects with Product, Engineering and Technical teams acting as lead and expert for carrier/telecom/network domain.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Work with our teams in a full transparent and respectful manner.
The Super Network Engineering team provides resilient/redundant connectivity, quality, features/capabilities to support the performance of Voice, Messaging, Wireless and Phone numbers. The team is the highest escalation point for all Telco related topics(design, architecture, traffic engineering, capacity management, interconnection management, infrastructure/network planning, carrier/vendor tech relationships, datacenter engineering & deployments, service Management) and provide the support to all the Super Network teams for any disruptions for service to our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Berlin, Germany or London, UK office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.