Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio‘s Billing Engineering team is responsible for providing a seamless experience for our product teams to provide a seamless integration to our billing systems to ensure that our customers are billing and invoiced accurately. We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Manager, who is passionate about building the best teams and shipping quality products, to join our Billing Platform team in San Francisco.
You will be leading and growing teams that are building the billing pipeline. You will have a truly fantastic opportunity to run a development team delivering a highly-available, globally-distributed, and resilient backend for Twilio’s Billing Platform.
Twilio is looking for an experienced leader who lives Twilio Magic , comes with product thinking and customer focus eager to bring our cloud-hosted billing pipeline products to new heights and demonstrates an equitable approach to building engineering teams. You also have:
- A track record of leading engineering teams in software companies and coordinating initiatives across boundaries.
- Ability to represent your customers’ perspectives. You plan for how they will be impacted by the new features you add to the Billing Platform, and you always work to enable their success.
- A solid engineering background and possess hands-on knowledge with deploying, monitoring and troubleshooting large-scale services in production.
- A passion for operational excellence and have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it.
- Familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- Strong ability to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Strong technical background with impetus on engineering hygiene, code quality and continuous improvements.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- EMPOWER OTHERS & BE INCLUSIVE: Nurture your team. Hire great people, provide coaching, mentorship, manage their performance and career development. Show the way, lead by example.
- BE AN OWNER & WRITE IT DOWN: Collaborate with Tech Leads, Product Managers and Architects: you will work on requirements, execution plans, define and track measurable goals for the team, and help guide our product roadmap.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Ship great products. Release, deploy and maintain world-class software in accordance with Twilio's engineering practices.
- DON'T SETTLE: Invest in operational maturity. Build trust and reliability in your products, review performance against service level objectives, address incidents, and prioritize improvements.
In this role you will work with top engineering and product talent. We are employing a flurry of cloud technologies offered by AWS, as well as by our own platform. We are currently in the process of revamping our pipeline with a streaming platform using Kafka Streams. We use varied technologies within Billing Engineering that produce a low latency and high throughput systems that delight our customers.
Billing Pipeline is the core of the Billing Engineering and is responsible for processing billions of events that are generated by our product teams. Our customers expect our services to scale up to their continuously increasing demands in traffic volume while trusting us to provide the service according to the highest availability and quality standards. In this position, you will have an opportunity to challenge yourself and the team to meet customer expectations by building scalable and robust services from the world-class company to world-class customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale St in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, game area, ergonomic desks, massages, yoga, dinners & happy hours with activities, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.